Saturday, July 7, 2018

Out now. Find out why it's 'A Magical Team'!

A Magical Team

GENRE: Gay Fantasy Romance
LENGTH: 43,571 words

Dirk Raynell is the half-elf son of Lex, the elf who founded the magical team. But he isn’t certain he wants to become a member, even after he meets its charismatic and very gay Elven leader Tonio. The team is comprised of Felan, a wolf-shifter; Reni, a vampire witch; Mattie, a human witch; and Bay, a human warlock who is cursed to come back each time he dies at the age he was at his first death. The sixth, unofficial member is Nina, Tonio's twin sister and a healer.

Then Dirk becomes embroiled in the jobs the team does, including taking down a mobster and trying to eliminate a very evil sorcerer. Along the way he falls for Bay and discovers swirling undercurrents within the team which could determine if they can successfully stop the sorcerer before he destroys them all.

NOTE: Also contains an M/F romance, but the erotic scenes are only M/M.

EXCERPT:
    "Gentlemen, meet the newest member of the team," Tonio said when he and Dirk entered the room they used at the station house. "He's taking Jake's place."

    "Damn, he's just a kid," one of the men muttered.

    "Lex's kid," Tonio told him.

    One of the women arched a delicate golden eyebrow. "Since when did he have a kid?"

    Dirk cocked his eyebrow at her in return. "Since twenty-one years ago when I was born?"

    "A real young un'," a handsome brown-haired man said, studying him.

    Dirk sighed. "So I'm not as ancient as the rest of you. Shoot me."

    "And waste such a pretty lad? I'm Mattie by the way. That's Irene," she nodded to the blonde, "but we call her Reni. The bearded, red-haired giant is Bay."

    "Notice she forgot to introduce me. I'm Felan, a wolf-shifter, and a lot older than I look."

    Since he appeared to be twenty-five at most, Dirk asked how old he really was.

    "Seventy and counting -- but slowly," Felan replied. "Bay's thirty-five, or so he claims. The ladies? Well I'll be a gentleman and keep that to myself."

    Reni smiled at Felan. "Well you should." Then she switched her gaze to Dirk. "I'm the old lady here. In fact the oldest of any of us. I've been around for, good lord, almost five-hundred years."

    "As long as we're being honest about our ages," Mattie said, "I'm twenty-eight, for real. Reni and I are both witches, as compared to Bay who's a warlock."

    "Okay," Dirk said, "next question. Felan's already said he's a wolf, I know Tonio's a full elf, I'm half-elf, so what about the rest of you?"

    "I'm pure human," Mattie said. "And then there's Reni."

    Dirk turned his attention to Reni. "You look human, but as old as you are --" He tapped a finger to his lips. "Vampire?"

    "Bingo. I used to be just a plain old, everyday witch until I made friends with the wrong man. Now," she shrugged, "I'm a witch with vampire powers added in. Ones that come in very useful for what we do. And before you ask, contrary to the prevailing myths about us, I'm more than capable of tolerating sunlight except in the middle of the day, as long as I'm well covered."

    Bay rumbled out a laugh. "We're a pretty mixed lot. As Felan said, I'm thirty-five -- this time around."

    "You're reincarnated?" Dirk asked, looking at him in awe.

    "Re-born, but don't look so impressed. I was cursed by a very powerful wizard way back in the middle ages. Around ten-sixty-six to be exact. Every time I die, or I'm killed, I'm reborn again, with all my memories intact. He said that way, maybe I'd learn a lesson about dabbling in things I had no business knowing." Bay grinned, stroking his beard. "He was so wrong."

    "We're definitely a mixed bag," Tonio said.

    "So what do you bring to the mix, Dirk?" Felan asked.

    "Manipulation of the elements, although I'm still learning how to do it safely."

    Tonio cocked his head in question. "Lex thought this would be useful to us?"

    Dirk nodded. "A well placed fire or lightning bolt can deal out quite a lot of damage."

    "He has a point, Tonio," Reni said. "I'd give my eyeteeth for that to be one of my powers. Okay, maybe not my eyeteeth. I sort of need them to survive."

    "One more question, if I may. Do you two --" Dirk pointed to Bay and Felan, "-- use magic?"

    Felan shook his head. "Not me. I haven't an ounce of magical ability, unless you consider shifting magical."

    "I suspect some people would," Bay said with a grin. "As for me, because I'm a warlock, I know a few spells, but I'm around more for my physical prowess. It's been a long time since I actually practiced magic."

    "I should have guessed you're the enforcer, so to speak. How tall are you anyway?"

    "Barefooted, I'm six-eleven."

    Dirk chuckled. "Remind me to hide behind you if things go wrong."

    "Naw, I'll just pick you up and use you as my shield." Bay winked, adding, "That is, if your protection spells are as strong as Tonio's."

    "Nobody's spells are as strong as his," Reni said, casting a glance at Tonio.

    "I'm not that good," Tonio replied with a self-deprecating smile. "Unless it involves battle magic that is."

    "We'll actually be having battles?" Dirk asked warily.

    "It's happened," Tonio said. "Not all rogues are willing to go peacefully, even when they realize we outnumber them. They call up reinforcements, instead."

2 comments: