Sunday, July 29, 2018

Guardian Angels – Ambivalent - 9


"Could this dealer be after you now for some reason?" Paddy asked.
"Doubtful. Last I heard, which was just before I started working at the shelter, he got busted. Before you ask, I had nothing to do with that. He's serving five-to-seven so it will be a while before he's back on the streets."
"Then who the hell…?"
"You're asking me? I don't know!" Mike chewed his lip as he stared at Paddy. "Okay, this is probably off the wall, but still… It seems like maybe fate stepped in so we'd meet. I'm hardly rich, considering what I do, but if you're willing and it's not too expensive, or I guess if your boss is willing, could I hire you to find out what's going on?"
Fate my ass. It was all me. Paddy refrained from cheering. Instead, remaining serious, he said, "Let me talk to him. I'm sure we can come up with an affordable arrangement."
"Thank you." Mike sighed in relief. "I just hope Mr. Keefe doesn't come back because if he does I might not be so lucky."
"Meaning he might recognize you."
"Yeah." Mike smiled wryly. "I may, well I do want to find out why he's looking for me and who hired him, but I'd rather not have him tell me in person. He probably isn't searching for me to give me the keys to the city."  
"Understandable. All right, I'll talk to Vic in the morning and let you know what he says."
* * * *
Mike and Paddy split up after finishing their supper. Before they did, Paddy took down Mike's number, telling him he'd call as soon as he got an answer from Vic.
The rain had let up, much to Mike's relief as he had a bit of a walk to his apartment. When he got there the first thing he did was strip out of his clothes, which were still vaguely damp, and take a long, hot shower.
Then, dressed in a pair of sweats, he sat on the sofa, pondering his situation.
Why did someone hire Mr. Keefe? And more to the point, why did he lie and say it was Father? He had no way of knowing I didn't know he was dead. So what if I hadn't been in contact since I left home. He couldn't know that. Could he?
"But what if he did?" That lead to the possibility that it was someone in his family that wanted him found. "Only a family member could tell him that I'd hadn't seen or spoken to Father since I left."
Okay, leap in logic there I suppose. Anyone who knew Father probably was aware of that fact. Unless of course Mr. Keefe was telling at least part of the truth and Father really did do his best to hide the fact he'd ever had a son. If so then he definitely wouldn't have talked about me to anyone he met after he moved away from here. 
"Still, either way, it's for damned sure he didn't hire Mr. Keefe."
Mike sighed. "This is getting me no where. So back to what Paddy said. Is there someone I met while I was on the streets who thinks I could be dangerous to them?" He rapped his fingers on the arm of the sofa. "Why am I presuming they're looking for me because I might cause them trouble?" Chuckling, he muttered, "Maybe Paddy's right, even though he was joking. Maybe someone wants to give me a ton of money for some reason. As if."
He shook his head when something occurred to him. It has to be family. How else would Mr. Keefe have gotten those pictures?

2 comments:

  1. I don’t think nothing good is going to come from this. Too many ifs, ands, and buts. Could be a family member that wants him gone cause his dad left him something they want.

    ReplyDelete