Sunday, July 15, 2018

Guardian Angels – Ambivalent - 7


Mr. Jones was in his office. He greeted Paddy enthusiastically, especially after finding out Paddy wanted to be a volunteer. There were forms to be filled out, which Paddy did while saying, "I hope the fact I'm new here and haven't held my present job very long won't be a problem."
Mr. Jones looked at the finished form, saying with a bit of surprise, "You're a private investigator?"
"Yes." And I'd better let Vic know I'm working for him, in case they check.
Paddy noticed Mike looked warily at him with that revelation. He knew why, and he planned on using that fact as soon as they left Mr. Jones office.
Mike beat him to it. The moment they were back in the hallway Mike rounded on him. "Okay, why are you really here?" he asked tautly.
Paddy feigned surprise. "To volunteer."
"I don't believe you."
"Hold on a minute," Paddy said, following Mike as he walked swiftly away. "Why not?"
Instead of answering the question, Mike asked, "Do you work for Mr. Keefe?"
"Who? Never heard of him. I work for Vic Kingston. If you don't believe me, call him."
Mike took out his phone. "What's the… Never mind, I'll find it on my own so I know this isn't a set-up." He obviously didn't find what he wanted when he asked Paddy, "What's the name of his firm?"
"Case Closed Investigations."
"You're kidding."
"Nope."
Mike found the number and made the call. Paddy kept his fingers crossed that Vic would back him up, or better yet that he wouldn't answer. It was, after all, late evening so he shouldn't even be in his office.
Apparently either Vic was still there, or he had calls forwarded to his cell phone because he did answer. The first thing Mike asked was, "Have you hired a new employee in the last few days?" Obviously Vic asked why he wanted to know because Mike said, "I'm standing here with a man who says he works for you."
Paddy held his breath. Please say it's me, Vic.
"Yes," Mike nodded. "Paddy O'Brian. That's what he said when he introduced himself to my boss. Thank you."
Mike turned his phone off, pocketing it. "Looks like you were telling the truth. I'm sorry I doubted you but, well…"
Paddy nodded. "It's okay. Let me ask something. This Keefe guy you mentioned? Did he give you trouble or some such that you were worried I might be working for him?"
"Not trouble so much as…" Mike glanced around. "Can we go somewhere else to talk, if you're willing?"
"Sure. Where?"
"There's a restaurant a couple of blocks from here." Mike smiled slightly. "Of course by the time we get there we'll look like a couple of drowned rats unless you've got a car."
"Not yet. That's one of the things on my agenda, now that I have a job, so I guess we weather the storm." 
"If we go out the side door we'll be half a block closer," Mike told him, walking in that direction. When they got there and he opened the door, he said, "I guess someone's looking out for us. It's only drizzling right now."
Paddy glanced skyward. Thanks. Chuckling, he said, "Then let's move it before it changes its mind."

2 comments:

  1. Once one has been betrayed its hard to trust...trust is hard to get back once lost!

    ReplyDelete