Saturday, June 23, 2018

My Brother’s Keeper - 44


(Epilogue - 1)

“I did it!” Jerry was grinning ear to ear, the tails of his graduation robe flying out behind him as he raced over to join Roy and Tad, showing Roy his diploma.

Roy hugged him hard, as did Tad seconds later. Then Tad looked at Roy and winked. “You might as well let him know.”

Jerry looked between them. “Know what?”

“I didn’t want to take your big day away from you, but…” Roy took a well-folded piece of paper from his pocket, handing it to Jerry.

“Oh yeah, hot damn! This is super cool,” Jerry said once he’d read it. “So we’re both high school graduates.

“Yep, but you earned your diploma legitimately. I just have a GED.”

“That’s totally legit too,” Jerry assured him as he linked his arms with Roy and Tad. “So, where are we going to celebrate?”

“Well, I have an idea but you’re going to have to trust me,” Tad replied.

Roy smiled at him. “Always, so lead on.”

It took twenty minutes to arrive at their destination, although ten of them were spent just getting out of the high school parking lot since everyone seemed to be trying to leave at the same time.

When Tad pulled off main road onto a side street, Roy shot a look at Jerry. He shrugged. When the car stopped in front of a small house in the middle of the block the two brothers were really confused.

“Are we picking up someone else?” Roy asked.

“No. There’s something I wanted to show you.” Tad got out of the car, waiting for the others to join him before he started up the walk. When he got to the front door he unlocked it, standing back to let them go inside first.

“It’s umm, nice,” Roy said hesitantly as he looked around the large, unfurnished living room.

“Great kitchen,” Jerry said moments later as he began exploring. He came back with the idea that he should check out the rest of the first floor.

Roy held up a hand to stop him. “This isn’t our house and whoever it belongs…too…” He stopped as it finally hit him. “Don’t tell me you bought this,” he growled at Tad. “Without even consulting me? Us?”

Tad shook his head. “I wanted you two to see it first. If you don’t like it there are a couple of others…”

“I know we talked about maybe, someday, getting a house but damn it Tad. I mean couldn’t you at least have talked to me first?”

“Sorry,” Tad said, a hangdog expression on his face. “I wanted to surprise you. Both of you have been working so hard and I had some free time so I figured I’d at least see what was available but I guess I screwed up and…”

6 comments:

  1. Tad has to remember that Roy had his life turned upside down and he needs to know all the moves before hand. Shaking head...Jerry will slap Roy upside the head.lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. So ending it soon eh? So sad. I want a story bought a small guy that is a top and has his eyes set on a friends bodybuilder friend that needs someone to take him out of his head for a bit...getting ready to retire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting idea, but not one I could pull off, I don't think.

      Delete