Thursday, June 21, 2018

My Brother’s Keeper - 43


“Why were you late? Didn’t you get my message?” Roy asked as soon as he and the others were in the hall outside of Max’s office.

“I did, but not until after I got finished talking with the committee.”

“What committee?” Jerry wanted to know.

“The one that had to approve my photos for the Winter Art Show.”

Roy grabbed his arm to make him standstill. “And did they?” he asked excitedly.

“Yes.” Tad grinned at him. “Not only did they like them, they’re going to give me one of the places of honor in the exhibit.”

“Hot damn!” Roy threw his arms around Tad, hugging him tightly. “That’s fantastic.”

Jerry hugged him too, although not quite so closely. “You’re going to be famous.”

Tad shrugged. “I doubt that, but it’s nice knowing people will get to see them and hopefully like them.”

“Of course they’ll like them, look who the subjects are,” Jerry told him with a broad grin.

“I was thinking,” Tad said seriously as he looked at Roy. “Maybe I should blur your faces in them?”

“Why?” Roy was puzzled for a second and then he got it. “I’m not ashamed that we were on the streets. It was part of our life and what we had to do. If anyone should be ashamed it would be my parents for forcing us into that situation.”

“I totally agree,” Jerry said adamantly. “Show away. Damn the torpedoes or something like that.”

Tad cocked an eyebrow. “Where on earth did you learn that?”

“In school. We were studying the Civil War and some navy guy said it.”

“School.” Roy snapped his fingers. “We have to get you enrolled as soon as possible.”

“After I talk to the realty company and get you on the lease,” Tad pointed out.

“And then we have to…”

The discussion continued as they walked to the bus stop, Roy checking his notes and adding to them. It didn’t stop until they were almost back to the apartment.

2 comments:

  1. They are a cute family! Makes my heart melt love this so much

    ReplyDelete