Saturday, May 12, 2018

My Brother’s Keeper - 23


Another bout of wracking coughs hit Jerry just as the trio had finished breakfast. When he could finally control them, he bent over the kitchen sink, spitting out mucus. He grimaced, not only at the ugly yellow/green color but the tiny bit of blood in it, and turned back to look at his brother. “Maybe, yeah, I should go back to the clinic.”

Roy was at his side in seconds. “Why?” he asked and then saw the answer. “Go get dressed,” he ordered as he turned on the water to rinse the mucus down the drain.

“I’ll drive you,” Tad told them.

“Thanks.” Roy watched as his brother left the kitchen. “It’s getting worse,” he said worriedly.

“Another reason for the two of you to stay here, at least for a while.”

“We’ll see,” Roy muttered while he started to clear the table. When Tad told him that could be done later, Roy replied, “I need to do something until he’s ready or I’ll be mothering him. He hates that.”

“I understand. He’s going to be fine, Roy.”

“You don’t know that,” Roy said, rounding on him angrily.

“Yeah, I do. If the clinic doctor can’t help we’ll take Jerry to mine. And before you say no, I’ll cover the cost. No. Arguments. Got it?”

“I thought you were just a student.”

“A student with a decent trust fund from my grandfather. How do you think I can afford this place?”

“I guess I didn’t actually think about that at all.” Roy looked at him and a small smile quirked his lips up. “Rich and good looking. Not a bad combo.”

“Well one out of two anyway,” Tad said in embarrassment. “Go see if he’s ready.”

“So you’re not really rich.” Roy smirked as he headed to the door. “Well, can’t have everything I guess.”

2 comments:

  1. Lol....Roy has a sense of humor! Love the interaction between these two! And hope Jerry is ok, just wondering about the police being called and then the parents which are brain dead zombies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time will tell. Yeah, brain-dead zombies works for the parental units.

      Delete