Saturday, December 9, 2017

(50) When all else is lost the future still remains



“We have three days, and we’re no closer to figuring out how to stop those two than we were before all this started,” Shan growled in frustration. “And sitting here on our duffs is getting us nowhere fast.”

“Then we go back to the city,” Addie told him.

“And just where would you suggest would be safe there?”

“I have an idea, but I need to call first.”

“From here? Do you even get reception here?” Race asked.

Addie smiled. “When you have the proper phone and all the needed gadgets, you can get it almost anywhere, and in my business, or what was my business, I have it all and always carry what I need with me.”

“In the monstrosity she calls a purse,” Shan added with a laugh.

“Yuck it up boyo, you know you’re glad I’ve got lots of strange and wonderful stuff in it. Give me twenty minutes and hopefully we’ll have a safe house.”

Almost to the minute, Addie came back through the tunnel into the command center. “Pack up boys, we have a place and it’s going to be vacant for the next two weeks.” When Shan cocked an eyebrow in question she told him, “Darian’s taking Frannie to visit Kayne, so they can work on something or another. He didn’t say what and I didn’t ask. But the house is ours and I’ve got all the codes we need to keep it safe from anything short of a nuclear blast.”

“You are one smart lady,” Shan told her, kissing her forehead.

“You’re just realizing that?” She smirked before heading off to her room to pack.

Race hesitated until Shan asked what was wrong. “How are we getting there? You can’t teleport us.”

“Hide and watch. Kayne showed me a little trick before he left that should cover my signature when I do.”

“And this place we’re going to really is that safe?”

“You have no idea. I almost wish we’d thought about before we ran from the city. Almost.” Shan just barely smiled, adding, “But if we had then… I guess I’d still be buried in my memories and misery and… Yeah. Come on, let’s get moving before Addie hunts us down and starts scolding us.”

“Like a mother hen.” Race nodded, saying quietly, “I’m glad we came here.”

“Me too, kid.” Shan started out of the room, stopped, and came back to where Race was still standing motionless watching him. Wrapping an arm around his shoulders he reiterated, “Me too. But now we have to leave.”

2 comments: