Sunday, September 10, 2017

(6) When all else is lost the future still remains



“The last decent meal I had was, damn, a couple of months ago if you don’t count the parts of steaks and such that the restaurants toss in dumpsters.” Race stood uneasily in the center of the kitchen as he answered, uncertain what he should be doing, or not doing.

Shan sensed his discomfort and said, “Either sit or get over here and help. Okay?”

“What do you want me to do?”

“Plates and such are up there.” Shan nodded towards the cupboards. “Silverware’s in the second drawer down.”

“Set the table in other words. That I can handle.” Race stopped at the sink first to wash his hands.

“Hope you like lasagna. I have a half a one left over from a couple of nights ago. It just needs nuking.” As he talked Shan took the glass container from the fridge, putting it in the huge microwave that sat on one end of the counter. “You do salads?”

“Eat them, sure. I’m not so hot at fixing them though.”

“Fixing’s easy. You chop up some lettuce, toss it on a plate and add dressing. Like so.” Shan demonstrated.

Race snorted in amusement. “Not quite restaurant quality but it works for me.”

Soon enough everything was on the table and the two men sat down to eat.

“Can I ask something?” Race said once he’d made a fair dent in his meal.

“Can and may. What do you want to know?”

“Why do you live in the heart of the city? I mean seems to me you’d want to be out somewhere where you can run.”

A shadow crossed Shan’s face before he replied. “I live as a human, Race. This is where my business and my friends are these days. When I feel to need to connect with my Were side I teleport out to the bayou, or just about anywhere else I want to be depending on my mood.”

“Whoa. Just like that you can be here one minute and somewhere else the next? Wish I could do that.”

2 comments: