Saturday, September 2, 2017

(2) When all else is lost the future still remains



Race looked at the address on the envelope and then at the one on the front of the townhouse. Somehow this wasn’t what he’d expected, considering he’d been approached in a rank alley in the center of the city by the man for whom he was delivering the message. If he’d had to have guessed, he would have figured he was looking for a warehouse or some shady business building, not a townhouse on the edge of the Quarter painted a rather appalling shade of green.  But then given that it was flanked by one painted red, and another in bright yellow with green shutters, he supposed this particular one wasn’t so bad.

Screwing up his courage, he walked up the front steps and knocked on the door. For a long minute nothing happened then he heard footsteps approaching. There was the sound of locks being undone and the door opened.

A tall, somewhat scruffy looking dark-haired man stood there, one eyebrow cocked in question. “Looking for someone?” he asked, the corner of his lip quirking in amusement as he looked down at Race.

Straightening to his full five foot ten inches, Race handed over the envelope. As his fingers touched the man’s his eyes widened in shock. He stumbled back and would have fallen down the steps if the man hadn’t caught his arm.

“Whoa up, I know I’m impressive, but I didn’t know I was scary,” the man said with a laugh.

Realizing he wouldn’t get free until the man let go, Race stared at him almost defiantly as he said, “You’re not human.”

“Very perceptive. There aren’t many who would see that.” He studied Race and the young man felt something touch his mind for a moment before pulling back. “You however are human, if enhanced for lack of a better word. How did you know and does knowing also tell you what I am?”

Race shook his head. “I just sense things sometimes when I touch people.”

“And just what did you feel?”

“Like I said, you’re not human. I get…colors. Sort of like auras but I don’t see those. Just…you are red, magenta, brown and orange all blended. That is not humanly possible.”

“And in your young life you’ve seen enough to know that?”

“Don’t put me down because of my age. I’m twenty-one, I’ve been around, a lot.” Race replied angrily. “I can’t help that I’m different than most.”

“A very interesting difference. It could be useful.” The man tapped his lips thoughtfully then realized he was still holding Race’s arm. “If I let go are you going to bolt?”

“Will you chase me down if I do?”

“No. But I’d like to talk to you more about this ability of yours. And,” he added as he looked at the envelope, “find out who sent you.”

Race considered that and nodded. “I can’t help you about the man, I didn’t see his face, but yeah, sure, we can talk. Oh, I’m Race by the way.”

Letting go of Race’s arm the man replied, “And I’m Darshan, or Shan to my friends.”

No comments:

Post a Comment