Sunday, August 27, 2017

Smoke and Mirrors - 63



“You didn’t try to fight the humans?” Jared asked.

::Had…weapons. We only have mouth, claws. Not stupid us::

Jared had the feeling that if the Chupacabra could have grinned when it said ‘not stupid’ it would have. He looked long and hard at the creature before turning to Norris and Daniel. “My inclination is to let him take refuge here if he swears he won’t attack any of the humans in the area. But that’s really up to you Norris, because we’d put you in charge of monitoring him.”

Norris chuckled. “Gee thanks. But it could work. There’s enough wildlife in the area to support both him and me, and the whole forest is legally off limits to hunters, which is one of the reasons I settled here.”

The Chupacabra obviously had been listening to the conversation because it said ::Promise not to hurt humans if they do not try to hurt me::

“You’d also have to promise not to let them see you,” Jared told him.

It nodded its head. ::Promise. Do not want to be studied like brother::

“Can’t blame you for that,” Daniel said. “I try to avoid that too, even from doctors.”

::Doctors?:: The Chupacabra looked at him quizzically.

“Humans who take care of you if you’re sick or hurt.”

::Ahh. Understand::

“So,” Jared said, getting things back on topic, “assuming the Council agrees and I don’t see why they wouldn’t, you’re welcome to stay here. You will have to check in with Norris,” Jared pointed to him, “on a regular basis, at least for a while.”

The Chupacabra nodded. ::So he knows me behave::

“Yes.”

The Chupacabra turned to Norris. ::We hunt as pair?::

“I suppose we could, sure.”

::And you teach me?:: The Chupacabra seemed to think about what he’d said. ::Not hunting. About this world here::

“I’d be glad to. If you’re going to be living here it would be a good idea for you to know what you’re getting into.”

::And to learn to speak as you do::

No comments:

Post a Comment