Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Smoke and Mirrors - 54



“I will give Kenton one thing, he has a hell of a wine cellar,” Daniel said when he and Jared finally returned home.

Jared shook his head in amusement. “I noticed you had no problems testing everything he offered, including the special brew for were’s. I’m surprised we made it home and didn’t end up in Canada or somewhere even worse.”

“My finely honed senses.” Daniel nodded hard as he fell back onto the sofa, staring blearily at his partner. “Have I ever, ever landed us anywhere we shouldn’t have been?”

Sitting down beside him Jared pulled Daniel’s feet into his lap so he could take his shoes off, saying, “Well there was the time we ended up in…”

“Okay, other than that. I was thinking dark and eerie, so shoot me.”

“If you weren’t three sheets to the wind there are other things I’d rather do to you.” Leaning over, Jared planted a quick kiss on Daniel's lips before beginning to unbutton his shirt.

Daniel started to protest that he was just fine. Then his eyes closed and he began to snore softly.

With an understanding sigh, Jared stripped Daniel’s shirt off and then went to get a blanket to cover him before going to ready himself for bed. He was about to lay down when there was a knock on the front door. “Now what,” he muttered, pulling on his bathrobe as he went to answer.

When he opened the door a tall, blonde man stood there. He looked at Jared as if expecting to be let inside. Standing his ground Jared asked, “How may I help you?”

“Who the hell are you and what are you doing in my brother’s apartment?”

“Actually, this is my apartment, mine and my partner’s. I think you must have the wrong address.”

The man shook his head, taking out a well-worn envelope. He shoved it towards Jared, tapping the return address. “Right apartment.”

Jared had to agree, it was. Then he looked at the address it was sent to. “How long ago did you get this?”

“Umm, ten years ago maybe?” The man frowned. “So right address but wrong person I’m guessing. Sorry man.”

“Not a problem.” Jared hesitated, but he had to know. “Are you family?” Jared was not particularly happy with that idea. Daniel had long since abandoned his family and his pack, unwilling to bow down to its despotic alpha. The only one he had ever tried to stay in touch with was an older brother who had quite literally vanished into the wilderness several years ago. Probably, now that he thought about it, about the time this man had gotten the letter. 

The man growled, not answering Jared’s question as he tried to peer into the apartment. Then he sighed, running one hand through his hair. “I’m looking for my brother. I was hoping he still lived here or that someone would know where he’d gone to.”

2 comments:

  1. So far behind real life tried to kill me! Emergency surgery for appendix, just learned I have sleep apnea can't rule ot narcolepsy! Along with my heart not waiting to pump properly yeah long fucked summer!, congrats on release sweetie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG. I missed you, and wondered what was happening. Sounds like all h*ll broke loose for you. I'm sorry. -hugs-
      Thanks for the congrats.

      Delete