Thursday, August 3, 2017

Smoke and Mirrors - 51

“Welcome,” Kenton said as he opened the door and stepped aside.

Aidan remained where he was standing. “Am I, truly?”

Kenton arched an eyebrow. “A good question I suppose. Why would I welcome into my home someone who wishes to betray me?”

“I could ask the same question. Why would I want to enter when you are entertaining members of the court?”

“And yet you’re here.”

“And you welcomed me.”

“Alright,” Mor said, stepping up to stand beside Aidan. “Enough with the games. Men, I swear. Can we just go inside and get this over with. I’m certain Kenton’s ‘friends’ have better things to do than stand around waiting for the fighting to begin. The gods know I do.” She pushed her way past the two elves and strode majestically into the living room.

“Whoa,” Daniel muttered, a grin quirking his mouth up. “And you lived with that for all those years?” He patted Jared’s shoulder in commiseration.

“And survived,” Jared replied with a wry chuckle. “So, shall we follow?”

The partners entered the house, where they stood, waiting for Aidan and Kenton to end their face-off. Taking the hint Aidan walked over to join them while keeping his gaze locked on Kenton.

Mor stepped to the living room doorway, saying tartly, “All of you, get in here now. There’s a stupid elf in here who seems rather insistent on meeting Aidan face to face.”

“Does he now?” Aidan broke ranks with the others to join her. “I see why,” he said softly as he murmured a quick spell that resulted in his being covered with fine golden armor. A long, sharp sword appeared in his hands seconds later.

The elf in question was already clad in dark silver armor, his hand resting on the hilt of his sword. “I’m not here to fight Urúvion.”

“Did you expect me to go with you willingly?”

“Actually I’m here to keep Kenton safe from your machinations,” the elf replied.

“It takes three of you to do that?”

The elf chuckled, glancing over at Jared as he and Daniel entered the room with Kenton. “I presume you’re the one who did reconnaissance, vampire.”

Jared bowed mockingly to the elf. “I am. I counted three of you, did I miss anyone?”

“Unfortunately, no. I shall have to remember next time to make certain at least one, if not all of us, are visually invisible as well as having our presences magically shielded from those probing from outside.” He returned his gaze to Aidan. “And you know that I’m speaking the truth as to how many of us are here.”

Aidan smiled in acknowledgement. “I do. What I want to know is why Kenton would have called on the court to send him protection when he claims to have had no contact with them.”

No comments:

Post a Comment