Monday, May 1, 2017

Smoke and Mirrors - 4



Raising an eyebrow, Jared was about to try to wipe the woman’s memory of what she and her companion had found when he realized that she was more than she appeared. He tapped a finger against his lip, turned his gaze to the man for a moment to make him forget what he’d done and what he might hear, and then said to the woman, “Fairies are off limits to you and yours. You should know that.”

She sneered. “I am a law unto myself.”

“Then why bring him alone with you?” He nodded at the man.

“Cover. He was supposed to keep anyone from interfering since he really is an employee of the museum.”

Daniel, still in jaguar form, slipped silently into the clearing to stand beside Jared. ::Is she what I think?::

::I believe so, beneath her glamour as a human::

::So this could be a territorial war. Unfortunate::

::Agreed:: To the woman Jared said, “We will not allow this. I hope you understand what I’m telling you.”

“’We’ being who? You and the shifter?”

“No, the Council of the Supernaturals which oversees all those who are not human, for whom we are agents.”

“Enforcers more likely. Do you think you can stop this? The fairies have impinged on our territory. It is our right to defend it and now I have,” she glared at him, “I had one of them to question.”

“My friend and I might not be able to stop you, but once the Council finds out what you are planning they will send some who can, if it becomes necessary.” He looked at the fairy behind the glass, which he now decided must be enchanted to keep her contained. “I will take her to them. If you wish you may go with us to present your side of the story.”

The woman thought about that for a long moment and then nodded. “You can guarantee me safe passage?”

“I give you my word no harm will come to either of you at our hands or those of the Council’s. They will render a decision and as long as both sides abide by it that will be the end.”

“I cannot ask for more I suppose.” She looked at the man who was still in Jared’s thrall. “What of him?”

“He will remember nothing other than that he was out here to collect insects for the museum---alone.”

“Very well, take us to the Council.”

2 comments:

  1. Aaaccckkkk good goddess it is great and so wonderful! Been in a car for 9 hours driving so this is a great way to get me ready for bed! Smooches

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 9 hours of driving? Ouch. Poor you. I'm glad I gave you something to ease the 'pain'.

      Delete