Monday, February 8, 2016

Hunted – 38



As Logan had predicted, the park was virtually empty. They found a small, grassy area surrounded by trees, with a picnic table in the center. At Logan’s request Skye sat while he stood in front of her and talked.

“When I said my family was killed that was the truth, but not the whole truth. Okay, let me backtrack a bit. How old do you think I am, from looking at me?”

“Twenty, twenty-one, by looks and also a sort of educated guess since you said you were close to graduating.”

“Actually, I’ve been alive for over forty years.”

Skye’s eyes widened, but she remained quiet.

“No response?” he asked with a small smile.

“Not until you’ve finished.”

“Thank you. I grew up out west, in a small town in Idaho. Until I reached puberty I aged just like any kid. Then the aging slowed down because I would shift forms. Shifting is regenerative.”

“So you’re saying you’re a were-wolf, like in Brice’s show.” There a trace, but only a trace, of disbelief in her voice.

Logan shook his head. “I’m one of the dual-natured—a shifter. My other nature happens to be that of a wolf.”

“Prove it, Logan.”

He did.

Skye backed away but didn’t get up and run. Instead she watched him closely, although not really fearfully. More like a scientist studying a new and different species. Finally she said, “Well you did say you were going to show me your assets.”

Logan pulled back his lips in a wolfish grin before he shifted back. He grinned a bit wider when her eyes moved down his body, and quickly clothed himself.

“And impressive assets they are,” Skye muttered.

“You’re taking this all rather calmly,” Logan said as he sat down beside her, glad when she didn’t move away.

“I suspect in a while I’ll be wondering what drugs you’d given me,” she told him seriously, and then laughed lightly. “Okay, I’ll admit that sure was not what I was expecting when I promised to keep your secret. On the other hand, it’s better than you confessing to me you’d slaughtered your family and buried them somewhere, or something like that.”

“No, the government did that.” Logan went on to explain. When he finished she shuddered with a murmured, ‘Damn’. “To put it mildly,” he agreed morosely.

“Okay, common sense to the contrary, obviously having seen it, I believe you’re a shifter, but what does this have to do with Brice and what’s going on with him?”

He gave her the short version, with her asking questions occasionally along the way.

“That truly sucks,” she said finally. “Poor man. So…” she looked quite seriously at him, “how are we going to stop this asshole stalker of his?”

Logan snorted at her language.

“Well he is.”

“And then some, and you, Skye, are not going to do anything. I only told you so you’d know why you can’t say anything to the guys. Not a word, about his being stalked.”

Rather than argue, which surprised him, she asked, “Then what are the two of you going to do?”

“We haven’t decided yet. Hell we haven’t even had a chance to talk about it.”

“Call him.”

“Skye, do you realize what time it is? You need to get home, you work tomorrow as you pointed out earlier.”

“Like he’s going to be sleeping with this hanging over his head. So call him.”

No comments:

Post a Comment