Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Hunted - 14




“I’ve been here for less than a month. Maybe you just saw me on the street at some point?” Logan smiled slightly. “Maybe I stuck in you mind because of my hair. I know it’s distinctive.”

“Definitely. But no, that’s not it. There’s something…” With a shake of his head, Brice took a bite of his pastrami sandwich to give him time to think. “Where were you before you came here?” he finally asked.

“Nowhere you’ve been, I’m sure. I grew up outside a small town in Idaho. Then I went to college, also in Idaho.”

“You’re right, I’ve never been there. Off topic, but what was your major?”

“Business management and marketing.”

“Then why are you working as a laborer? You should easily be able to get a job in your field.”

Logan shrugged. “I had to leave before I graduated, so with no degree people aren’t interested.”

“Pity. I suspect you’d be good at it.”

Logan arched an eyebrow in disbelief. “Just what do you base that opinion on?”

“Instinct, maybe. I’m an actor, so I think I'm better at reading people than the average guy.”

“I know, you play a werewolf in a TV show.”

“You’ve seen it?” Brice asked, preening a bit.

“Saw a bit of one episode. I wasn’t impressed.”

“Oh.” Brice slumped a little.

“Oh, you were okay. Most of the actors were, I suppose. But the whole story is hokum, as least from what I can gather about it from my friends, who are faithful viewers.”

Brice chuckled softly. “You’re an expert on vampires and werewolves?”

Logan’s reply was to smile and shake his head. Then he finally picked up his sandwich and began to eat, after a quick check of the time.

Brice noted that and told him, “I’m the big boss, I’ll alibi you if you’re late.”

“That won’t be necessary because I won’t be late. I’m sorry I couldn’t answer your question but I honestly don’t think we’ve ever met.” Logan said the words, but inside he had a strong feeling he knew the real answer to Brice’s question. They hadn’t met, but like called to like, and Brice was a shifter, no matter how deeply he’d been able to bury his second nature, for whatever reason. Perhaps because he couldn’t accept what he was.

“I suppose you’re right,” Brice said. “Though it’s still going to bug me,” he admitted with a small smile.

Logan nodded and they finished their meal in silence. Then Logan excused himself, thanked Brice, and headed back to work. Brice watched him leave and shook his head. I know I’m not wrong. Somehow I do know you Mr. Logan Fitzgerald.  

No comments:

Post a Comment