Tuesday, April 28, 2015

43 - The darkest night will pass…




Pamela frowned. “Just why are they asking us to take in this woman?”

“Because Alaine has emergency business to attend to and he wants to take Chantal with him.”

“And this woman is incapable of staying there by herself? God knows Alaine has enough servants.”

“Under normal circumstances, I’d agree with you. However her case is different. Do you remember Roque?”

“Of course I do. He was one of my favorites. I was terribly distressed when I heard what…” Pamela looked Rian. “Oh no. You are not bringing that woman into our house, not after what she did. She’s insane. Think of the boys if nothing else.”

“From what Alaine has said she’s changed since Roque’s death.”

“I seriously doubt that.”

“My love, please. At least give her a chance. I trust Alaine’s judgment. He wouldn’t ask it if he thought she was still a danger. As for the boys, they’ll only be here for a few more days at most.”

Pamela gave Rian a suspicious look. “Exactly when is she due here…my love?”

“Well…Promise you won’t kill me.”

“Rian!”

“Tonight. I’m sorry but it is an emergency.”

“So I’m supposed to baby sit this woman?” She glowered at him.

“No, just be her friend. She’s been through hell and is still feeling the pangs of guilt and remorse, even though it was a year ago that it happened.”

Pamela huffed in annoyance. “If she gives me any trouble, or even looks sideways at you, Rian, I’ll see to it that she spends the rest of her time locked in her room.”

Rian chuckled. “She is a vampyre, and for all that’s she a young one, still quite powerful thanks to Roque being her Sire. I think she’d manage to escape.”

“She is still our guest and she will behave.”

“Yes, my dear. I shall see to it that she understands. Now if you don’t mind I suggest we prepare for her arrival.”

No comments:

Post a Comment