Saturday, November 15, 2014

20 - ‘Come gentle night…’



Kemp snorted as he checked Trevor’s refrigerator. “Milk, beer and various science projects that were probably once foods of some sort. When’s the last time you actually ate in?”

“Before Del left town I think.” When Kemp looked at him inquiringly Trevor elaborated a bit. “She was my lady friend. Well maybe still is but that’s yet to be decided. She got a scholarship to go to an excellent art school up north so she’s not around now. Probably won’t be for a couple more years.”

“Do you miss her?” Kemp asked as he scavenged the cupboards for something to work with.

“Yeah I do but this is what she wanted. She’s damned good but needs…more.”

Discovering the makings for spaghetti sauce and an almost full box of noodles Kemp set to work. “Why didn’t you go with her, not that it’s any of my business.”

“Because this is my city, my home, my house. That and a lot of other mixed up reasons that,” he smiled somewhat sadly, “I’m not sure either of us really understood. They were just…there.”

Kemp nodded, stating with the wisdom of a nineteen-year-old who had never been in love or close to, “Shit happens I guess.”

“From the mouths of babes,” Trevor said with a wry laugh as he watched Kemp mixing things together in a pan before putting it on the stove to cook—along with a pan of water to boil for the noodles. Leaning back against the counter he told him, “Tonight after you get off work we’re going on a little walking tour of the area.”

“Vampyre hunting?”

“Yes, but only to see if you can spot them.”

“You make it sound as if the city’s crawling with them.”

“It's a locus for them so yeah it is. Well more than a lot of other places. Not certain quite why though some claim that it began with the Ursuline Convent and the tales of caskets filled with vampyres in its attic. I can tell you there aren’t any there now, although it’s quite believable it was their original point of origin here. But that’s a story for another time. Just trust that they are around in abundance.”

“And to think I came here to get away from trouble,” Kemp said with a rueful smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment