Friday, April 4, 2014

13 - There dwells a spirit, waiting to be released



“I should take you back home,” Detective Jonas said as she pulled the car out of the parking lot.

Merlyn smiled slightly. “Why do I think there’s a ‘but’ in there somewhere?”

“But,” she replied, smiling back, “I honestly could use your help. This is not my scene.”

“I’m presuming you mean the whole sub/Dom thing, because murder is what you do.” He realized that came out sounding weird and added, “I mean, you’re a homicide detective.”

“That’s what my badge says. But I’ve never handled one involving gays or someone into BDSM. So if you have some time to spare I’d wouldn’t mind your company when I go talk to Mr Gunther.”

“Sure. I’d rather do that than go back home and, well you know. Damn it, I miss him!”

“I know, and while sticking with me might not take your mind off of your loss at least it’ll channel the emotions into something positive, if that makes sense.”

“Very much so. So where are we headed, or rather where does Mr Gunther live?”

“In an apartment complex just south of Prescott Park.”

“On the harbor? It seems to me the only one I remember in that area was very pricey, if it’s the one I’m thinking of. I wonder how a waiter can afford to live there.”

“Roommate maybe. We’ll find out soon enough.” Detective Jonas turned her attention to getting onto the highway and battling noon-time traffic.

Fifteen minutes later they were pulling up in front of the address they had for Paul Gunther. Two black and whites were parked out front and they could see the lights from a third one flashing at the side of the building where Gunther lived.

“This had better just a coincidence,” Detective Jonas said as she and Merlyn got out of the car. She walked swiftly up to one of the cops, asking, “What’s going on?”

“We got a report of a body in the bay behind the complex. They just pulled it out.”

The detective acknowledged his words with a nod as she headed around the building with Merlyn in tow. The back area by the edge of the water was a hive of activity, some cops keeping onlookers back while others, plus a pair of EMTs, hovered over what Merlyn could only presume was a dead body.

Telling Merlyn to stay where he was, Detective Jonas went to talk with one of the officers. A few moments later she beckoned for Merlyn to join them. “Is this the young man from last night?” she asked when he did.

“I… think so.” Merlyn shuddered as he looked at the body. For some reason he’d expected it to have been bloated or parts of it eaten by fish but it appeared perfectly normal except for several livid bruises on the face. “Was it suicide?”

“Not unless he figured out how to tie his hands behind his back by himself,” one of the cops replied.

“I’m no expert,” an EMT added, “but I think he was dead before he was put in the water.”

“Who called this in?” Detective Jonas asked.

“An anonymous tipster, around five a.m.,” one of the cops said. “They gave a general location, nothing more. It took a while to find the body. It was under the pier.”  

“Mr Knight, there’s no reason for you to stand around waiting at this point,” Detective Jonas told Merlyn as she watched the CSI van pull up. “This will take a while so I suggest you call a cab or I can have an officer drive you home.”

“A cab will work. If you need me again feel free to call.”

She chuckled dryly. “Trust me, I will.”

2 comments:

  1. Deeper and more mysterious! and more dead bodies. Love it... I think. LOL! It truly is so very good. I can't wait for more. Thank you so much for posting this. I look forward to it so much. I know I said that before but more so even now. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again, thank you, Hurri. More to come on Sunday. *G*

      Delete