Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The Prince and I - 34



Three months later I had my GED. A month after that, kicking and screaming all the way, I was enrolled at the School of Mines. Alright so I didn’t kick and scream too hard. Mr Knight had a way of inspiring me to do my best while making certain he was one step ahead of me all the way. By the time I got my GED I realized I liked learning. It made me feel as if I was worth something to someone, even if it was just myself.

In all the time after I’d left the mansion I never heard one word from Sadron. Not a call, not a note, nothing. It was as if he’d dropped off the face of the earth. And when I thought about it I figured that was exactly what had happened, he’d returned to his own world. Of course I didn’t hear from Connor either, but then I hadn’t expected to. I was resigned to the fact he was gone for good and if he thought of me at all it was probably as the strange human who’d briefly helped him when he’d needed it.

During the first semester at Mines I worked my ass off to keep up with everyone else. Mr Knight was around to help me when I got really stuck.

I once asked him why and he’d just shrugged. “You’re a good kid; I want to see you make something of yourself. Besides,” he’d smiled wryly, “I’m being paid well to make certain you live up to Mr Daeronion’s expectations.”

I’d sort of figured that. Sadron must be putting out a hell of a lot of cash between Mr Knight, my rent and of course my books and tuition. I wondered what would happen when I got my degree and told him ‘Hasta la vista… Oh yeah and thanks’ and took off to make my own way in the world.

Even with all my hard work I did find time to make a few friends and indulge in a couple of quick hook-ups, neither of which did anything other than help relieve the stress of classes.

With the fall semester over I had three weeks to myself. Of course the first day it had to snow—and hard. I woke up to find at least a foot of the white stuff on the ground and damned near as much on the balcony outside my front door. For a few minutes I was pissed. Then I remembered what it had been like on the streets—with just a jacket over as many layers as I could fit under it—and realized I was damned lucky now.

I got dressed, bundled up and headed out to get some real coffee at the small café on the block behind my place. A guy I knew from school worked there so we got to talking since it was slow at the moment.

He chuckled suddenly and I asked why. “Looks like you’ve got an admirer.” Since he knew I was gay I figured it had to be a male and turned to see if I knew him.

“Holy shit,” I whispered, quickly turning away.

“Know him I take it,” my friend said.

“Used to,” I muttered.

“I have the feeling you’re going to again because he’s not leaving.”

“Where’s the back door?”

He grinned. “Too late, Richie.”

A hand gripped my shoulder and I turned slowly. Deep green, gold flecked eyes scanned my face as if searching for something.

I hated the slight tremor in my voice as I asked, “What are you doing here?”

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh!!! Awesome update but I wanted just a couple more sentences! Just two... or more. Yeah, more. That's what I want! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete