Monday, March 3, 2014

The Prince and I - 33



For the next month I lived a solitary existence. Okay, that sounds pitiful I know but it’s not so bad actually. I found the local grocery store and stocked up on food almost to the point of hoarding. Then I discovered there was a library close by and I became a regular visitor. I think if my father could have seen me there, or sitting curled up on the sofa with a book, he’d have been shocked beyond belief. I hadn’t been a bad student but on the other hand I’d been no scholar either. Now I was reading anything and everything I could consume.

Then one morning someone knocked on my door. I figured it was the manager coming to tell me it was time to move, that the month’s rent Sadron had put up had run out. Instead I found a middle-aged man standing there. His hair was white at the temples and a pair of wire-framed glasses perched on his long, thin nose.

Figuring he’d come to the wrong apartment, or was going to try to sell me something, I asked, “Can I help you?”

“Richie Marino?”

“Perhaps. Who wants to know?”

“Mr Daeronion sent me. I’m your tutor.”

“Hang on a minute, who’s Mr. Daeronion?” And then what he’d said sank in. “You mean Sadron. I told him I wasn’t interested in his offer.”

“He rarely listens to people who tell him ‘No’.” The man peeked past me into my apartment. “That’s quite a stack of books you have there. Enjoy reading do you?”

“Yeah, and?”

“It means there’s hope for you yet.” He stepped forward, I stood my ground. “Richie you might as well let me in because I’m not going anywhere until you do.” He pushed his glasses back up his nose and waited.

I debated just slamming the door in his face but I figured he meant what he’d said so reluctantly I moved aside. He came in, introducing himself as John Knight.

“You know you’re wasting your time, Mr Knight.”

He ignored me as he looked through the books on the table. “Very interesting. You seem to have eclectic tastes.” Picking one up he opened it then said, “Tell me about Dylan Thomas.”

So I did, as much as I knew of him. I even quoted a line from one of his poems which had stuck in my head. ‘Though lovers be lost love shall not; And death shall have no dominion.”

He’d sat down while I was talking, listening with one ear I think while he chose another book that he quizzed me about next. That went on for the next two hours, much to my surprise.

Then he said, “You have a sharp mind, Richie. I know you resent Mr Daeronion’s sending me here but look at the positive side. I can help you get your GED and in the long run isn’t that a good thing?” 

“Yeah, I guess it is,” I replied slowly.

“Excellent.” He took a small pad of paper and a pen from his jacket pocket and began to write. When he’d finished he handed it to me. “We’ll begin with science so pick up those books from the library.” He smiled and got up. “I’ll bring basic test questions for each section with me tomorrow so I know where you stand and what area’s need the most work. Is nine in the morning too early for you?”

“Umm, no, I guess not.”

“Good. I’ll see you then.”

2 comments:

  1. Yep, so a totally different direction. Yikes. But it is really good and I can't wait for more. Like always, begging. LOL! Thank you. I look forward to these so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I look forward to your comments. There will be more, on Wednesday. Honest.

      Delete