Thursday, March 13, 2014

2 - There dwells a spirit, waiting to be released



“This is nicer than I remember.” Merlyn leaned back to take in the whole restaurant. Subdued lighting, white linen tablecloths, silver place settings, candles and flowers, it all came across as very elegant and very romantic. The view over the harbor with the rays of the setting sun painting it in oranges and pinks called to his artistic temperament.

“Hopefully the company’s better than you remember too.” Alton smiled, patting Merlyn’s hand. “Now, sweetie, order anything you want, it’s on me, your reward for actually stepping out of your place and having some fun.”

“I leave my studio. I’m not a recluse.”

“Merl, going out to buy groceries is not considered leaving. That’s just one of those chores you have to do like”---Alton gave an exaggerated shudder---“taking out the trash.”

Merlyn laughed. “And when’s the last time you did that?”

Alton pondered for a moment. “Three days ago, when the twink I brought home that night refused to do it for me before he left.”

“Since when have you started picking up twinks? I thought you liked them older and experienced.”

Heaving a deep sigh Alton muttered. “At this point I’m the older experienced one. I’m hitting forty in three weeks, sweetie, and I’m feeling every bit of my age.”

Merlyn rolled his eyes. “You look…” tilting his head he studied his friend, “all of thirty.”

“In this light, with proper makeup, I better look younger than that,” Alton growled before smiling at the compliment. “But that begs the question. I’ve got ten years on you and side by side in the sunlight it would look more like twelve.”

“Sir, are you and your companion ready to order?” the young waitress asked, startling both men. “And,” she added with a smile, “you look fabulous for your age, sir.”

Alton blinked then chuckled lightly. “I don’t know whether to consider that flattery or an insult my dear, but I’ll take it as the former.” He picked up the menu to look at it again before giving her his order. “Have you decided what you want Merlyn?”

The waitress’s eyes widened. “Merlyn as in Merlyn Knight the sculptor?”

Merlyn shot Alton a look, knowing his friend had used his full name to engender just this sort of response from the young woman. Then he smiled at her. “One and the same.”

“I love your work. I even own one of your tiny ones, a sleeping dragon.” She seemed ready to keep gushing at him until she realized she was supposed to be taking his order.

Once she had and had left Merlyn grumbled, “I hate that.”

“Then why did you order it?” Alton asked, deliberately misunderstanding him.

“You know what I mean. I don’t like the notoriety, that’s why I let you handle everything. Oh well, at least she didn’t ask for an autograph or something. Hopefully she won’t tell anyone I’m here.”

“Sweetie…” Alton shook his head in amusement as he saw her deep in conversation with two of the other servers who then looked their way. “You’re out of luck but they won’t bother you, although that waiter is cute so you might wish that he did.”

Merlyn chuckled. “There you go again, presuming because he’s male and a waiter that he’s gay. Not everyone is you know.”

“More’s the shame. But if he is…” Alton waggled his eyebrows.

“Then he’s all yours. I am not interested or looking.”

“And that we shall have to do something about,” Alton said quietly before moving the discussion on to other subjects.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful as always. I love how conversation can convey a personality. I begin to "see" these two. Can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete