Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The Prince and I - 27



The bodyguards turned out to be elven warriors, according to Connor. That meant of course they didn’t look much older than me. It struck me then that Sadron did. He didn’t appear as old as Arthur. More like he might be thirty to Connor’s apparent eighteen at best.

As we drove to the shop I worried over that until finally I had to ask “How old is your uncle?”

“He’s a bit over three hundred and fifty. He’ll live for another four hundred years if he isn’t killed.”

“It’ll be the same for you. Damn.”  

“I know. Right now I don’t like that idea at all.”

One of the bodyguards was frowning as he listened. “How can you not like it, knowing you will outlive a mere human,” he spat out.

“Whoa up there bud," I said, "I may be human but it doesn’t make me inferior to you.”

His frown deepened to a scowl. He started to reply then seemed to think better of it and turned away to stare out the car window.

Connor and I looked at each other. He gave a small nod and I had the feeling he was thinking the same thing I was. This guard could be the one spying on Sadron for Aemornion.

We stayed quiet about that of course. But for the next three hours—while we shopped and the bodyguards… guarded—I kept glancing at the man when I thought he wasn’t looking. Unfortunately he didn’t have ‘spy’ written on his forehead and he didn’t act like the ones in the movies. He watched us and the people around us just like the other one did, not being obvious but I could tell he knew what he was doing and I hoped he’d step in if anyone took it into their head to go after Connor.

By the time we left the shop I was more than ready to head back to the mansion. Who knew getting a new wardrobe could tire a guy out so bad. And it wasn’t even a lot of clothes. I stuck to basics---jeans, a nice pair of slacks just in case, tees and a couple of button downs plus socks and underwear. Connor had tried to make me get more. I let him talk me into a new pair of shoes before I told him for me this was plenty. Hell, as far as knew I might not even get to wear most of them before Connor and his uncle disappeared to their world, leaving me behind with nice threads and no where to go in them.

All I wanted at that point was to get back to the mansion and collapse, preferably with Connor to keep me company. 

That didn’t happen.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhhh! Dang it! Now I have to wait! What happens??? You cliff hanger person you!

    ReplyDelete