Saturday, February 1, 2014

The Prince and I - 18



I’d seen some pretty fine houses before. Hell I grew up in one. But this one was beyond fine and right up there with mansion. Heavy duty mansion at that.

Arthur had picked us up in a chauffeur-driven limo so I should have guessed we weren’t headed to some place in the Baker district. When we turned onto the long driveway all I saw from a moment was trees, then lots of lawn, and finally the sprawling house.

“Shit, you could get lost in there,” I muttered.

Connor laughed. “Very true. I did a time or two when we first got here but you’ll get used to it.”

From the frown which crossed Arthur’s face for a second I had the feeling he didn’t like the idea that I might even have a chance to get used to it. At least he was nice enough not to say so out loud.

After the limo driver dropped us off at the front entrance Arthur led the way across the wide porch to the front door, ringing the bell. A very proper man in a black suit opened the door, ushering us inside. His nose turned up when he looked at me, and apparently he wasn’t all that thrilled about how Connor was dressed. For a moment I thought he was Connor’s uncle until he told us he’d let Mr Sadron know he had visitors.

As soon as he walked away Connor rolled his eyes and started across the large entryway to the door the man had vanished through. “He likes to put on airs,” he explained to me.

“He does it well. I feel like something he’d just as soon have told to go to the servant’s entrance.”

“Boys,’ Arthur said sternly, “he’s just doing his job.”

By then Connor had thrown open the door to what turned out to be a large office. A slender blond-haired man sat at a desk, talking to the butler or whatever he was. He jumped to his feet the minute he saw Connor, coming over to hug him tightly before stepping back to look him over.

“You’ve lost weight.”

“As Richie can tell you, it happens when you don’t eat.”

“And this I presume is Richie?” He turned to look at me.

“Yes, sir. Richie Marino.” I met his eyes and didn’t drop mine as much as I wanted to. His eyes were a steely gray-green and not at all welcoming.

“Thank you for finding Connor. I’ll let the chauffeur know he’s to drive you back to the city now.” He strode back to the desk, picking up the phone.

Connor said something to him in a language I couldn’t understand but it was obvious he wasn’t happy. His uncle shook his head, replying in kind, still holding the phone receiver. After glaring at him, Connor put his arm around my waist. Whatever he told his uncle must not have sat too well with him because he slammed down the receiver before coming back to us.

“You seduced my nephew!”

I snorted, hoping I wasn’t putting my foot in my mouth when I replied with a small smirk, “Well actually sir he’s the one who did the seducing, not that I resisted.”

“Melcindómien,” Sadron growled.

I looked at Connor. “Was that a swear word or was he putting a curse on you?”

Connor chuckled. “Actually that’s my elven name. He uses it when he wants me to remember who I am while we’re here.”

“I think I’ll stick to calling you Connor.”

Sadron took a deep breath. I’ll give him props, he even managed a tight smile as he said “I apologize for my angry words.” Then he ruined it by adding, “However you are hardly the type of man I want my nephew to be involved with.”

I glared at him. “Because I’m human?”

“Because you are not his class of person.” He sneered as he looked me over again.

“Yeah? Well tell you what. You’re an ignorant bastard to judge someone on how they look when you know nothing about them or their circumstances.” I turned to Connor, shaking my head. “I’m sorry but he’s right, I should leave.” Then I grinned, dipping my head to brush a kiss over his lips. “But damned if I’m going to. His majesty can just suck it up.”

Since my back was to Sadron at that point I couldn’t see his reaction but I heard him hiss… And then he laughed.

“I think you may have met your match, Connor. Why don’t you take your young man upstairs and put him in…” He paused then sighed. “He may have the room next to yours. Once the two of you have showered and made yourselves presentable come back downstairs. I wish to talk to both of you about what happened. From what little Arthur told me when he called it is quite worrying.”

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Fun. Hate it when I get to the end and think it's never enough. LOL! Can't wait for the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming tomorrow to a blog near you... episode #19. LOL

      Delete