Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Prince and I - 16



Connor nodded, looking around. Then he hissed in a breath. “I think I know how they’re finding me.”

“How?”

“The smaller man is elven too. He may have power to see through the eyes of certain birds.”

“Oh boy.” I couldn’t help looking up, even though it was too dark to see if any were flying around overhead. “What kind of birds?”

He thought about it. “Probably ones without night vision since both attempts happened in daylight.”

“Good. That means we’re safe from them for the moment at least.” I nodded when he touched my arm and pointed. “Could work.”

We crossed to a thick stand of trees and bushes against the wall on the far side of the creek from the path. Between them and the wall was a small empty patch. It was obvious we weren’t the first people to find it, but from the bit of grass making its way through the dirt I figured no one had for a while at least. I knelt and immediately got up again. The ground was damp enough to leave wet spots on the knees of my jeans. Luckily I came prepared. I dug a thin sheet of tightly folded plastic from my backpack.

“Is there anything you don’t have in there?” Connor sounded amused.

“Yeah, food unfortunately,” I grumbled as I spread out the plastic. It had been a while since we’d eaten anything and my stomach was protesting—but I’m used to that. I felt him tap my shoulder. When I turned to look he handed me a hotdog. He had another one which he took a bite out of, wrinkling his nose, muttering, ‘Hot’.

“Spicy I gather.” I opened the bun on mine to check then told him we could trade which he did willingly. “How long have you had these?” I asked as I scarfed mine down.

“Remember the cart we passed? Well, umm, the two guys who ordered them were talking and looking at something across the street so I sort of, umm…”

“No wonder you took off so fast. And you were upset when I copped the tip off that table.”

He shrugged and smiled as he sat down. “In a book at the house I read something about ‘Needs must…’ I guess it’s true.”

I settled down beside him, wiping my fingers off on a patch of grass, then lay back, using my pack as a makeshift pillow. He sat there looking at me until I lifted an eyebrow in question.

“Can we, what did you call it, spoon?”

“Sure, come here.” I shifted and he curled up next to me, snuggling close when I wrapped my arms around him, his head on my shoulder. It felt kind of good to be holding someone, even if it was just to keep warm and dry since the plastic wasn’t all that wide. That was my last thought as I fell asleep.

7 comments:

  1. Where can this book be purchased? Is there a link, please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry but it's not out in book form. It's just a serialized story here on my blog.

      Delete
  2. As usual, can't wait for more! Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So question for you. Is this story finished or are you writing it as you go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's finished. I wrote it about a year ago for a group I belonged to. One that has since pretty much died a natural death I'm afraid.

      Delete
    2. Crap, I hate these stupid blog "i promise i am human' things! I wrote this long comment but clicked on the 'publish' button and LOST it! Course YOU would be happy about it because you wouldn't have to suffer through reading it! LOL! But on the other hand it was a BRILLIANT comment and now it is GONE!

      I need to clean something.

      Anyway, the gist of what I wanted to say is thank you for sharing your wonderful work. :)

      Delete
    3. Shoot. I wish it hadn't vanished. Still, thank you so much for what you did manage to say. -grinning- It's very much appreciated.

      Delete