Saturday, December 7, 2013

Death Becomes HIm - 34



You own the building?” Trent said in surprise.

Phillip nodded. “I have for over a century. Not, of course, as ‘me’ all that time. I am as far as anyone is concerned the grandson of the original owner.”

“The Realtor doesn’t know you’re living upstairs?” Rory asked in disbelief.

“He’s human, and easily controllable. He repeats the story I gave him whenever a perspective tenant for the shop asks.”

Trent’s mouth tightened. “Do you do that often? Use your ability to control people?”

“Only when it’s in my best interests. I’m not a villain. Most of us aren’t. However we do have to protect ourselves. For instance”—he looked at Rory—“how are you going to explain why you are only around at night if one of Trent’s friends should ask.”

“The tours take place at night, well into the night if things work out the way I hope. So I sleep during the day while Trent is at work.”

“At your age you can’t tolerate any sunlight. That could present a problem for you.”

“Actually, thanks to Emily’s blood and her age, I can already be out in it before sundown as long as I’m well covered.”

Phillip smiled sourly. “I wish my Sire had been an ancient. That would have made my life easier. Ah well, what was, was and there’s not changing it after two centuries.” He paused for a moment then walked to the door hiding the stairs. “Come. I’ll show you my home.”

Trent and Rory both evidenced surprise when they got upstairs. Although small in area, the apartment, for lack of a better word, seemed almost spacious. There was a living room with a miniscule kitchen off to one side. The windows were covered with heavy drapes over closed shutters. At the far end were doors leading to a small bathroom and a much larger bedroom.

Trent studied the furnishing then turned to comment on them. Phillip beat him to it, saying with a laugh, “You expected a Victorian sofa and chairs, scrollwork on the bookcases and fireplace, and dark, heavy wainscoting and cornices?”

“To be honest, yes,” Trent agreed. “This is quite modern.”

“Just because I’ve been around for two centuries doesn’t mean I have to, shall we say act my age. I move with the times. It keeps me feeling young.”

Trent could see that reflected in the modern paintings hanging on the pale beige walls, the surprisingly comfortable looking leather sofa with its matching armchair, and the rugs of very contemporary design on the hardwood floor, one in front of the sofa, the other under a small, glass and chrome dining table.

Rory looked at the rugs, then at Trent. “We need a couple of those in our living room.”

“Something to—consider,” Trent replied cautiously. He was not nearly as fond of modern furnishings as Phillip seemed to be. He much preferred his older, homey sofa and chairs and the off-blue carpet and paler off-blue walls, with standing book shelves along one of them. Still, it was Rory’s home now too, so if he wanted to make changes he had a right to, as long as they both agreed on them.

“Sit, please,” Phillip said, taking the armchair. When Trent and Rory did, Phillip tapped his fingers together, looking at Rory. “You will need employees for your venture.”

“No kidding,” Rory said dryly. “That’s next on the agenda, once I do a bit of cleaning up downstairs and get some chairs and what have you.”

“Were you planning on hiring humans?”

“Like I have a choice?”

“Actually, with my help, you might. I for one am bored with doing nothing at all. I do know the city quite well, and the stories that abound about what is haunted and by whom.”

“You’re volunteering?” Rory asked in surprise.

“Sure, why not? I also have some friends who might be willing to lead tours. I know you’re too young to realize it yet, but a vampire’s life can become very tedious after a while.” Phillip chuckled. “It’s not as if we can hold day jobs and then go home to a wife and family.”

“I never thought about that,” Rory admitted, getting a confirming nod from Trent.

“You will in time I’m afraid. Until then, running these ghost tours is the perfect excuse to be out and about, enjoying life without having to spend it in clubs or bars. How were you planning on handling the fact you wouldn’t be around until dusk?”

Rory explained and Phillip nodded with approval. “Clever, and no one needs to know it’s the truth.”

“It does add a bit of spice to everything,” Trent pointed out, “and is something none of the other tour companies are doing. It will take good advertizing but that’s easily dealt with.”

5 comments:

  1. Oh I am hooked! This is great, and I'm going to be checking back... often. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! Love it as usual....actually calming a heavy switch right now, thank u papaE ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're most welcome, Raiden. Glad you're liking it.

    ReplyDelete