Sunday, October 6, 2013

Death Becomes Him - 3



Rory did call and they went out to dinner. It became a bi-weekly habit and not soon after, the feeling they’d had in high school began to rekindle. Two months later they were sleeping together, usually at Trent’s place, sometimes at Rory’s apartment.

That continued for almost two years during which they discussed, half-seriously, the idea of moving in together. They both liked the idea but somehow they never got it together enough to actually do it.

Then Rory disappeared.

They were supposed to meet at one of the clubs they often frequented. Just as Trent got ready to leave the house, Rory called.

“I’m going to be late. Something’s come up. Jack, you know Jack…”

“Yeah. Cute kid but a bit of a space case from what you’ve said.”

“That would be him,” Rory replied with a rueful chuckle. “Anyway, he’s decided he needs the evening off. Luckily he had one of the early tours. I’m taking over so I probably won’t get to the club until eleven or a bit later.”

“Why don’t we cancel then and you can just come by the house, if you want.”

“Oh you know I want.” Rory’s laugh was low and sexy, sending Trent’s libido into high gear. But then everything about his lover did that so he wasn’t too surprised.

“Okay, I’ll see you when you get there. Be careful.”

“Of?” Rory chuckled.

“Muggers, getting assaulted. I was just reading a story in the newspaper that said things aren’t getting…”

“You have to stop doing that,” Rory broke in. Trent could almost see him smiling with amusement. “You know I’m careful. Hell, I’ve got eyes in the back of my head when I walk to my car so stop worrying.”

“I know, but if…”

“Trent, baby, enough. I’ll be fine, as always. I’ll be at your place by eleven-thirty at the latest, I promise.”

“Okay, okay.” Trent laughed quietly. “I’ll even have your favorite meal waiting when you get here.”

“You on the half-shell?”

“Me on the bed, nude and…”

They bantered a bit about what came after the ‘and’, then ended their conversation. That was the last time Trent spoke to the man with whom he had once again fallen in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment