Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Like Father, Like Son - 36



“I would love to mother but Nicky’s moving the rest of his things in tonight and I plan on helping him. Maybe next time but now I have to get a move on.”

Declan closed his phone and smiled tightly at his lover. “She thinks I’m still at the office but leaving.”

Nicky rubbed Declan's back. “Relax.” When Declan frowned Nicky traced a knuckle along his jaw. “You know what I mean. It’s all going to work out just the way we’ve planned.”

“Damned well better,” Declan growled, letting his anger override any second thoughts he might be having.

“I bet she’s already in her car, speeding her way here to kick my ass out before I can unpack. Of course she could be riding a broom instead. Aren’t they the favorite mode of transportation for bitch witches?”

Declan’s lips quirked up for a second. “Bitch witch, that would be her.” He sobered immediately, jumping up to pace. “If she told anyone she’s coming here…”

“Where was she when she called, do you know?”

“In her car actually, I think. She said she was on her way to meet friends for cocktails. That’s why she called, to order me to join her since they have ‘connections’.” Declan sneered out the last word.

“We should be good then.” Nicky watched Declan cross from one end of the living room and back again. “Babe, you’re going to wear holes in the carpet.”

Declan came to a stop, his hands fisting and unfisting. “Where the hell is she?”

“Deep breaths. It’s only been five minutes.”

“I want this over with. I wish we’d done someone else last night. I’m… I need the release. I’m off the charts wound up.”

“Which will make this easier on you,” Nicky told him, going over to take his hands, easing them open, stroking the palms. “We get her up there and then it’s over, babe.”

The sound of a key in the lock of the apartment’s front door had both of them turning to look as Delores let herself in.

“Where did you get keys?” Declan said angrily, striding towards his mother.

She smiled grimly. “I’ve had them since you got this place, in case of emergencies.” She shot a withering look at Nicky. “And this is definitely an emergency. Get that slut out of here now or I’ll…”

“You’ll do what, mother? There’s nothing you can do. How I live my life is my choice and you have nothing to say about it. Not any more.” Declan’s voice rose as he glared at her.

“Declan Kensington, you do not yell at your mother!”

“You’re right, mother, I should keep quiet, kiss your ass and just let you run my life as you’ve done all my life.” He grabbed her shoulders, spinning her around, one arm going around her throat. “No more, mother,” he spat out, tightening his hold until she passed out. “No. More.”

Nicky snagged her purse from where it had fallen, digging through it for her car keys which he pocketed. Then he went to open the door leading to the fire escape while Declan hefted Delores’s body over his shoulder. Nicky checked to be certain no one was in the walkway between the buildings then nodded to Declan before racing down to get his car and pull it to the parking lot end of the walkway. Moment’s later Declan was shoving his mother’s body into the back seat.

“I’ll be right back,” Declan said, heading back up stairs. He walked through the apartment, picking up his mother’s purse, re-locking then bolting the front door, and turning on the television as well as a light in the kitchen. Pausing, he looked around to make certain he hadn’t missed anything. He saw something shiny on the floor under the table in the entryway. It was one of the fancy hairclips his mother used. Pocketing it, he went into his bedroom to get his bag then returned to the fire escape, locking the door behind him before going down to rejoin Nicky.

Declan opened his bag, took out a roll of duct tape and bound his mother’s wrists together behind her back then put a strip of tape over her mouth. Finished, he said, “I’ll meet you where we planned. And then…”

“And then, the end.” Nicky gave his a fast kiss, handed him his car keys and headed to get Delores’s car.

“The end.” Declan took a deep breath, got into the car and moments later pulled out of the lot onto the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment