Friday, September 13, 2013

Like Father, Like Son - 30



Unbelievably, as far as Nicky was concerned, Delores Kensington was waiting for them when he and Declan deplaned at the airport. Declan grabbed his arm, pulling him past her without a word of greeting. Nicky would have laughed at the look on her face if the moment hadn’t been so fraught with tension.

“Declan stop where you are,” Delores called out, seemingly not caring she was suddenly the focus of attention from several bystanders as she strode quickly after her son.

Declan turned, fury on his face. “I’m back, mother, and I’m going home. I don’t want to hear one more word from you. Oh, and mother, my lover is going with me.” He pointedly wrapped his arm around Nicky’s waist then kissed him soundly.

“How dare you!” she sputtered.

Breaking the kiss, Declan shot her a look of disgust. “I’m of age, Nicky’s of age, if we want to fuck each other it is none of your business. Now butt out of my life.” He started to turn away then added maliciously, “By the way, my father sends his love. Not!”

“You didn’t just say that,” Nicky whispered as the walked away.

“I did. She deserved it, the bitch.” Declan’s lips pressed together in anger.

“On that I’m in total agreement.”

* * * *

Declan threw himself down on the sofa the minute they were inside the apartment, not even bothering to do more than drop his bag on the floor by the door. His actions surprised Nicky even though he understood the reason.

“So, what are we going to do now?” Nicky asked, sitting down beside Declan.

“Find the perfect woman, and this time it’ll be someone her age.”

“Makes sense to me.”

Declan turned to glare at him. Then his glance softened. “I was going to say something nasty, but you don’t deserve it.”

Nicky smiled in reply, certain Declan meant that just as it sounded, but he couldn’t help but hope there was an underlying implication. He wanted to be important to this man whose life he seemed to be sharing. Important for himself, not just as someone Declan took to his bed, and on his killing sprees.

Returning to what he’d been talking about, Declan said, “The problem is finding her. Women like that don’t hang out at clubs or bars.”

“No, they go to country clubs, fancy restaurants and charity events, the same places your mother does. And I’d be willing to bet separating one of them from her husband and friends won’t be easy.” Nicky chewed his lip thoughtfully. “There’s always what you did with the one woman, catcher her off guard at home.”

“That’s true. That’s very true. The only problem is, I want someone like mother and getting onto the property where they live would be risky at best. The rich aren’t fools, Nicky. You should see the protections on Reginald’s house and grounds.”

“Then we go back to plan ‘A’, figure out how to get our target away from all her friends at some party.”

“Hang on a second.” Declan sounded excited. “We’re being stupid.”

“We’re tired and pissed, I think stupid comes with the territory in this case.”

“No, I mean it. I know these people, well some of them, thanks to mother’s Sunday luncheons.”

“And? You can’t exactly kidnap one of them from there.”

“No…but…if I could get one of them to come to me…”

“How would you manage it?”

“That, my dear boy, is what I have to figure out.”

No comments:

Post a Comment