Friday, August 30, 2013

Like Father, Like Son - 23



Declan rolled over, smiling when he saw Nicky lying there still asleep. They had made it back to the apartment just as the sun peeped over the horizon. After quick showers to rinse off what blood the dip in the stream hadn’t washed away they’d fallen into bed and instantly to sleep.



A fast glance at the clock on the nightstand told him it was well after noon, which explained why he was hungry. He placed a kiss on the nape of Nicky’s neck then rolled out of bed, headed to the bathroom and from there to the kitchen where he began to make lunch.



The sound of water running told him Nicky was up and moving so he wasn’t surprised when he heard soft footsteps come up behind him a few minutes later. He turned to smile at his lover, saying “Good morning. Sleep well?”



“Very well, and it’s afternoon in case you hadn’t noticed.” Nicky kissed him quickly then reached past him to snag a strip of bacon.



Declan slapped his hand. “That’s for BLTs. If your hungry help me get them made, or better yet set the table.”



They worked together in companionable silence then sat down to eat. After devouring one sandwich and reaching for a second, Declan asked, “How are you doing?”



Nicky knew what he meant and shrugged. “Okay I think. It was one of the most exciting things I’ve ever done, but, well…” He took a big swallow of coffee. “I think I’m feeling guilty because I don’t feel guilty, if that makes any sense.”



Declan took his hand, nodding. “You’re not like me, it’s not what you’re used to.” He brought Nicky’s hand to his lips, kissing the palm. “What you have to remember is we’re better than the people we kill. Those women are rich sluts who use men, who use anyone truth be told, to gain what they desire. Wealth, prestige, you name it, it’s all they want out of life and they’ll do anything they can to get it. We’re doing everyone a service by eliminating them.”



“I guess.” When Declan arched an eyebrow, Nicky said, “All right, I know you’re right. They are worthless drains on society.”



“Exactly. Just keep telling yourself that.”



“You know,” Nicky’s eyes glowed in anticipation, “there are a lot of them out there.”



“True, but we’re not animals who kill anything that crosses our path. There has to be a reason.”



“You just said…”



“I said they deserve to be killed. But we have to do it at proper intervals. After all we don’t want to be caught, do we?”



“Of course not. So the ‘proper interval’ is when your mother pisses you off so much you can’t control the urge to do something.”



Declan chuckled. “According to all the research that’s what makes a serial killer kill, an uncontrollable urge triggered by an event or a need.”



Leaning back, Nicky stared at Declan. “What happens if I get the urge to kill?”



“Then if you can’t control it we find ourselves a victim. Learning control is essential, my boy. You can control your urges when we’re in bed, now you have to do the same when the need to kill hits you.”



“You don’t.”



Declan smiled. “If you think about it, I do. When Mother makes me angry I don’t dash out to find the first woman who reminds me of her and drag them off to my lair, so to speak. I take the time to plan it out.” He held up a hand to stop Nicky from saying anything. “Last night was not the norm. It was spur of the moment because what Mother did hurt you. I will not allow her to do that.”



“It’s too bad,” Nicky replied pensively, “we can’t just kill her.”



“Mother? No,” Declan spat out.



“Why?”



“She’s…my mother, my family. You don’t kill family. If you do then you go insane, like my father.” Nicky looked at him in question so Declan told him the story of how his father had killed his own brother.



“Damn,” Nicky said softly when Declan finished. “It sounds cliché or…something, but I do mean it, I’m sorry. Now I understand.”



“Thank you.” Declan touched his cheek then leaned in to kiss him. “You’re a good person which is why I…care for you I suppose.” He chuckled wryly. “A bloodthirsty one now, thanks to me, but still all in all you’re good people. Don’t let what I just said go to your head,” he added quickly. “This isn’t some big romance we have going now. I’m not capable of that, which I suspect you’ve figured out, but take it or leave it I do care for you.”



Nicky grinned. “I’ll take it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment