Friday, August 16, 2013

Like Father, Like Son - 16



“Sick, huh?” Nicky spat out. “Sick of me I guess since you snuck out with that woman. Since when did you start feeling you couldn’t just tell me?”

Declan’s hands fisted tightly behind his back. “We will not talk about this out here.”

“Then where? Upstairs?”

“Yes.” Declan walked around him, opened the door and waited for him to enter.

Nicky did, staring icily at his lover. The silence as they rode up in the elevator was deadly. Only when they got into Declan’s apartment did it end.

“Was she good?” Nicky screamed, letting all the anger out he’d been holding in. “Was she as good as me? Or better?”

“Is there any way I can answer your question that you’d accept?” Declan replied stonily.

“With the truth, if you have it in you to be truthful.”

“Nicky, I never promised you you’d be the only one,” Declan reminded him.

“I know that! But after two years…” Nicky stalked up to Declan until they were toe to toe. “You did promise you wouldn’t leave with someone when you were with me. Are you going to see her again, Miss pretty, stuck-up blonde?”

Declan’s lips curled up in a sardonic smile. “That’s not an option.”

“Good, because if you did I might be forced to do something drastic.”

There was a strange edge in Nicky’s voice that made Declan ask, “What would you do, Nicky?” He honestly interested in what he’d reply.

“I don’t know.” Nicky’s shouldered slumped. “I know what I’d like to do, if you really did plan on seeing her again.”

“Jealous, lover?”

“Yes,” Nicky whispered. “I know I’m not supposed to be. I’m supposed to take your occasional forays with women in stride. Laugh them off and be there when you want me to be. But damn it, Declan, not when you’re so blatant about it. And then to lie to me, telling me you’re sick.” He glared at him. “You didn’t think I’d see you take her out to your car did you? I probably wouldn’t have if you’d been a bit faster.”

“Why didn’t you say something then? Why wait until now? Why let it build up in you like you did?”

Nicky ran a hand through his hair. “I was afraid to cause a scene I suppose. Of what I might say if I did.”

“So you waited until now. Silly boy.”

“I’m not a boy; I’m as old as you, almost.” Nicky moved away until the backs of his legs hit the edge of the sofa. Then he sat, looking up at Declan for a long moment before he buried his face in his hands. His voice was muffled as he said, “I almost followed you.”

“What would you have done if you had?”

Nicky looked up at him again. “In the mood I was in, I would have killed her.”

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Unfortunately, Cathy, it's not a book per se. It's just a story that I'm posting here in serialized form.

      You're saying that however just made my day. Thank you!

      Delete