Monday, July 15, 2013

The family that preys together…- 58



“Visiting hours are almost over Mr. Hill,” the nurse said softly, putting a hand on Gerard’s shoulder.

Gerard nodded and reached out to touch Bryant’s cheek.

Bryant didn’t react as he rocked back and forth, his arms wrapped around himself, his eyes staring blankly ahead while he watched something no one else could see.

Standing, Gerard followed the nurse out of the room. “Is Dr. Warren still here?” he asked quietly after the nurse had locked the door behind them.

“Yes, he’s in his office. I’ll let him know you want to talk to him.”

Gerard followed her down the hall, waiting while she went into an office at the end. Moments later she beckoned to him.

Dr. Warren stood, offering his hand when Gerard came in. “It’s good to see you again,” he said once they both were seated. “I’m afraid I have no good news for you. Nothing has changed since the day he came here. He won’t talk, he eats only when forced to and barely sleeps. When he does he has nightmares.”

“Is there...?” Gerard shook his head, knowing the answer before he asked. “Two years and still…”

The doctor nodded. “I’m sorry. I wish I could offer you some hope but quite honestly I can’t.”

“I understand. At least here he’s getting the best care possible unlike when he was in MSH.” With a sigh Gerard got up. “Again, thank you.”

A few minutes later he was on the road heading back home. As he always did after seeing Bryant, he would stop at the cemetery to visit Crispin’s grave. Then he would return to his lonely mansion and plan his next hunt. 

Even with both his boys gone, dead and as good as dead, he carried on with the game. He had promised his wife and never had he broken a promise to her, in life or in death. 

The End

* * * * * * * * * * *

Stay tuned for 'Like Father, Like Son' beginning on Wednesday.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, didnt see that end coming quite so quick, though did wonder how they would excape from the attic!
    I wasnt sure at the start if the 'game' would put me off but I did enjoy it

    Suze

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you did. Hopefully you'll like the next story as well.

      Delete