Sunday, June 9, 2013

The family that preys together…- 40



“I don’t think I’ve had this nice an evening in a long time.”

“Not even at the party?” Kent asked as he and Crispin started walking back to his place from the theater.

“I’ll admit that was fun but this is nicer, just the two of us.”

Kent’s heart sped up but he wasn’t going to let himself believe those words meant what he hoped. So he replied, admitting to himself he was fishing, “I agree that spending time with a friend, without other people around that you have to deal with, is great.”

Tapping a thumbnail against his lips, Crispin nodded. “Too many people can get in the way.”

“When you want to just talk one on one, I totally agree.”

“Or sit next to a nice young man in a movie and know he’s enjoying it as much as you are just by glancing at his face or hearing him laugh.”

“Or that, yes.”

“Or,” Crispin said very softly as he saw Kent’s apartment house ahead of them, “if you want to find out if a kiss from a young man is as enticing as one from a woman.”

Kent froze. “Was that a hypothetical statement or are you, do you really want to know?”

“I think I want to know,” Crispin replied, taking Kent’s hand, “But not here, not in front of God and the neighbors.”

“You’re holding my hand in front of the neighbors,” Kent murmured even as he tightened his grip so that Crispin wouldn’t let go.

“Am I now?” Crispin smiled, giving a light tug to get Kent moving again.

Kent smiled back and nodded as they started walking. “Feels like it to me.”

Crispin squeezed his hand. “Then I guess I am and apparently it doesn’t bother you in the least.”

“Not if it doesn’t bother you.” Kent knew they were bantering their way to something more, or he prayed that they were and that Crispin wouldn’t get cold feet at the last moment.

Crispin kept walking as he looked at Kent. “It doesn’t,” he replied seriously.

By that time they had reached the door to the apartment. Kent unlocked it with his free hand and they stepped inside. He kicked it closed, keeping his eyes locked with Crispin’s now. Slowly, hesitantly, Crispin closed the distance between them. Kent waited breathlessly aware that what happened next was not his choice to make. It was Crispin’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment