Thursday, May 16, 2013

The family that preys together…- 28



“I feel like I ate a horse.” Kent sighed happily. “You were right, this is great food.”

“I’m still surprised you didn’t know about this place.”

“This isn’t a neighborhood I really come to, too high class and expensive.”

Crispin tapped a fingernail on his teeth, a small frown on his face. “I thought you said you had a good job.”

“Oh I do, but I still watch my pennies. Habit I guess and the way I was brought up. I’ve found if I avoid the places I know are over-priced I’m not tempted to spend money on trivial, useless things.”

Crispin’s eyebrows shot up in annoyance. “So this was trivial and useless?”

“God, no. The food was great and so is the company. It’s just, well on my own I’d be at the Olive Garden or some such if I was craving Italian.”

“I’m not quite certain they qualify as Italian, but then I’ve never eaten at one.”

Kent leaned back, looking at Crispin. “So how rich are you?”

“If you’re looking for a sugar daddy,” Crispin replied somewhat scathingly, “I’m not it but I’m not hurting as far as money goes either.”

A look of shock crossed Kent’s face. “Okay, now you’re pissed at me. I’m sorry if I said something wrong.”

“You didn’t. I’m just being an ass and you don’t deserve that. That was a legitimate question that I took the wrong way. So, to answer it, I have enough money to buy the things I want but that’s partly because I live with my brother and my father in our family home.” Crispin smiled slightly. “Some people would, and have, called it a mansion and it comes with all that that implies including several servants.”

“Holy shit. Seriously?”

“Very seriously, Kent. I have a good life and a good if boring job which I think I told you about last time.”

“And probably all the friends you could ever want so why…” Kent hesitated.

“So why am I here eating dinner with you? Because I want to be. Because, despite what you may think, I don’t have a lot of friends. I’m a fairly solitary man.”

“Then we’ll have to change that.”

“Oh will ‘we’?”

“Yes. There’s a party this weekend. Would you come with me?”

Crispin shook his head. “I’m sure I wouldn’t fit in. I’m more then years older than you and probably all your friends as well.”

“Not really. They’re people my roommate works with, cops, firefighters. He’s an EMT.”

A slow smile crossed Crispin’s face at the idea of mingling with policemen. “It sounds like I might not feel so out of place after all. But how will they take it if you show up with an older man?”

“Are you worried about the ‘older’ part or the ‘man’ part?” Kent asked with a grin. 

“Both?”

“I really doubt they’ll care one way or the other. Most of Rick’s friends are fairly liberal and easy going from what I’ve seen.”

Crispin nodded. “Then yes, I’d like to go with you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment