Thursday, May 2, 2013

The family that preys together…- 21



Crispin climbed out of the pool and headed to what he now considered ‘his chair’ when he was there. After toweling himself dry he started to drink the bottle of water he’d gotten from the health club’s commissary.

“I’ve noticed our phone woman has been MIA for the last few days,” the young man whose name Crispin now knew was Kent Tyler said as he dropped down in the chair beside him.

“No loss,” Crispin replied sourly. He was a bit surprised Kent didn’t know what had happened to her but maybe the man hadn’t made the connection between her and the ‘cell phone killer’s’ first victim.

It became quite apparent he hadn’t when Kent said, “Maybe she’s taken those murders to heart, though that wouldn’t explain why she’s not here at all.”

Crispin chuckled. “Probably she’s so addicted to her phone she’s playing it smart and staying home so she can talk safely.”

“Hey, if murdering a couple of people to get that idea across works, I think I’m almost glad that it happened.” Kent smiled wryly. “Almost. I guess I can’t really condone the killings even for that reason.”

Crispin studied the young man before saying, “It will be interesting to see if the killer strikes again.”

“He’d be stupid to. He’s done what he set out to. Any more would be, you’ll excuse the pun, over-kill.”

With a laugh Crispin nodded in agreement before saying, “I really should get moving I guess. It’s a long drive home for me.”

“St. Cloud you said,” Kent replied after a moment’s thought. “Why live there instead of here?”

“Family.”

Kent took a quick glance at Crispin’s ring finger before saying, “You’re married?”

“Not at all. I don’t think that’s in the cards for me.”

There was a long pause as Kent seemed to be debating something while Crispin watched in amusement, having an idea what would come next. Finally the young man asked with some hesitation, “Gay?”

Snapping his fingers, Crispin replied, “Now why did I think that would be your next question? To be quite honest I don’t think so, but then I’ve never tested the theory.”

“Hang on, at your age you can’t still be a virgin,” Kent said, immediately turning bright red. “I meant…I mean surely you’ve had sex with women.”

Crispin shrugged. “I have.”

No comments:

Post a Comment