Sunday, March 31, 2013

The family that preys together…- 5



Gerard sat in his wing-backed chair, a glass of fine wine in one hand, the remote in the other. On the screen of the large television on the wall of his well-appointed study he watched his sons at play and smiled in approval.

As they stripped the body of the rest of its clothes, rolled it tightly in the tarp and bound it with sturdy rope he took another sip of wine before saying aloud, “When you’re quite finished come see me.”

Crispin looked at the camera in one corner of the basement and nodded. Then, as Gerard watched, he and his brother carried the bundle to the large walk-in freezer at the far end of the room, setting it down almost gently on the floor before closing and locking the door.

A few minutes later his sons appeared in the study. They had stopped in their rooms to change clothes and both were now in clean, tight jeans and button-downs.

“From what I saw, the two of you did well. Can I presume you managed to cull your victim without anyone being the wiser until it was too late?”

“Yes, father,” Crispin replied with a smile before crossing the study to the well-stocked bar at the far end. He took a bottle of Double Bastard Ale from the refrigerator and raised an eyebrow in question to Bryant who nodded. After pouring ale into chilled mugs he came back, handing one to his brother.

“Has he been reported missing?” Bryant asked after taking an appreciative sip of his drink.

Gerard nodded. “According to my sources he has been, although of course it won’t be official until twenty-four hours have passed. He was after all over eighteen. I would suggest you wait a day or two before disposing of the body and then take it up north.”

Bryant grinned. “I’m certain we can find a lake we haven’t used before.”

“This is not a joke, boy,” Gerard growled, shooting an angry glance at his younger son.

Scrubbing a hand over his face Bryant nodded. “I know, father. But please allow me the time it takes to come down off the high of a good kill before laying into me. Don’t rain on my parade until then.”

Gerard smiled just slightly. “I understand your feelings but you always have to keep in mind that you are not the only one involved. One slip and that will end everything for all of us.” When Bryant nodded Gerard said, “Now I think it’s best if we all go to bed and get some rest. We have church tomorrow and then that barbeque that your aunt insists we attend.”

Once his sons had taken their leave Gerard got up and crossed to stand in front of a large oil painting of a beautiful woman caught in the prime of her life.

“I’m miss you, my love,” he said softly. “I’m doing my best to carry out your wishes and the boys have grown into impressive young men who understand their duty. I hope you approve.” Lifting his glass he saluted the portrait, finished his wine, and then left the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment