Monday, March 25, 2013

The family that preys together…- 2



“Boys, what are you scheming now?” Gerard Hill asked as he walked into Bryant’s office in the mansion.

Crispin fielded that since he had the better relationship with their father. “Same old, same old, looking for something to keep us entertained for a while.”

Gerard cocked an eyebrow in question. “Something that won’t end up with one or the other of you in jail I trust.”

“Oh we’ll be very careful. You taught us well.” Bryant’s smile verged on a sneer but as his father wasn’t looking at him it went unseen.

“See that you are, boy.” Gerard turned momentarily to cast a steely look at him. “I still remember that time about, what was it ten years ago? If I hadn’t shown up…”

“You’re never going to let me forget that are you?”

“I will not have our family name dragged through the dirt because you are careless.” Gerard pointed one long finger at Bryant. “Is that understood?”

“We both understand, father, I promise,” Crispin said in an attempt to defuse the situation.

“Just keep an eye on him,” Gerard grumbled, turning to Crispin again. “He’s still young.”

Bryant snorted in derision. “I don’t think that thirty-three is young, father.”

“There are times when one would think you were barely twenty-three boy,” Gerard replied, not bothering to look at his younger son.

With his father’s back turned to him Bryant was able to mouth, “Bastard,” without being seen.

Crispin shook his head, changing the subject by saying, “We’ll be taking the van, father.”

“Very well. I’ll have Williams clean it in the morning as I’m afraid it is quite dirty from my hunting trip. I really should have had him do that today, but somehow I forgot.”

With a laugh Crispin said, “How very remiss of you.”

“I know. Old age setting in I suppose.” Gerard chuckled. “Now I shall leave the two of you to your ‘games’.”

2 comments: