Friday, March 15, 2013

Caomhnóir – Manny - 41



Sofietje had not relented. She had wanted Manny back in Rotterdam immediately. Therefore, he had no choice but to go, leaving Hamlin behind to deal with the fallout from his abrupt departure. He had at least gotten a chance to say his goodbyes to the boys, which he had found almost harder than doing the same with Hamlin. At least he knew that, in time, he and Hamlin would be together again.

Within a day of his return, Sofietje had sent Manny off on an assignment. When he returned a week later, she had another one for him. Only the fact that Hamlin was still waiting it out while Gebhard searched for the perfect replacement kept Manny from blowing his cool. He had the distinct feeling that Sofietje was keeping him busy in the vain hope that he’d forget about Hamlin. If she found out that his lover was going to be moving here, Manny had the feeling the shit would hit the fan big time.

Finally, much to his relief, even though he felt some trepidation as well, Manny got the phone call he’d been waiting for so anxiously. Hamlin told him elatedly that Gebhard had found not one but two men to be counselors at the house.

"Just tell me when and I’ll be on the first flight out."

“I’ll be back in Rotterdam in two days if all goes well.”

"It better. I’m miss you so damned much I don’t think I can wait even that long. I’ll make my reservations as soon as we hang up."

“Just don’t forget to let me know so I can meet you at the airport,” Manny told him, laughing happily.

They talked for a while longer, until Manny had to call a halt to their conversation so he could get back to the reason he was where he was.

Two days later, just as he’d promised Hamlin, the job was finished. His flight back to Rotterdam landed him at the airport less than an hour before Hamlin was due in. So instead of heading home, he was pacing the waiting area while he waited for his lover’s arrival.

“Hold still,” a stern voice said from behind him.

Swinging around, Manny saw Sofietje standing there, her arms crossed as she glared at him

“Just when were you planning on telling me?” she asked. “Or weren’t you?”

Manny shrugged. “Given my druthers, never. But I know I couldn’t keep it a secret forever. How did you know?”

She gave him a slight smile. “I am not a fool, Manfred. You know I was aware of your young man even before I gave you permission to return to the States. I will admit I was hardly elated when Alasdair told me that you had taken up with him again, although I was not terribly surprised. But to bring him back here—“ She shook her head.

“Fait accompli at this point, I’m afraid,” he told her, a small grin quirking up his lips. “They just announced that his plane has landed. So, if you’ll excuse me—“ He started off towards the baggage claim area where he was to meet Hamlin.

“You will introduce me to him,” Sofietje said, walking along beside him.

With a sigh, Manny nodded his agreement.

No comments:

Post a Comment