Thursday, February 7, 2013

Caomhnóir – Manny - 23



Manny paced from the fountain to the Washington Square arch and back again, checking his watch every ten seconds it seemed like. He started to worry when it was fifteen minutes past the time he was supposed to meet Alasdair. Then his cell rang. Answering, he looked around and nodded, closed it, and walked across the park to a row of benches where man sat in front of tables, intent on the chess games they were playing. It took him a moment to recognize Alasdair, as the commandant was wearing a cap and had his hair pulled back, bound with a leather thong.

Manny took the vacant seat opposite him. “Black or white?”

“You play?”

Nodding, Manny said, “Rather well actually, or I did once upon a time.”

“Excellent, then this will look real.” Alasdair made an opening move before saying, “You are still certain it was him?”

“Very, as impossible at it is to believe. I killed him. I know I did. And then with the fire on top of that—“ He made a return move, shaking his head. “But I’d know that voice anywhere.”

“It’s not impossible. You didn’t say the ritual words, at least according to what Sofietje told me.”

“No I didn’t. I wanted him suffering for eternity for killing Godric. And, I suppose, for everything else he did as well.” He looked at Alasdair, his eyes filled with anger and despair. “Why is he back again?”

“It happens. Rarely but it does. The one who makes decisions about Scriostóir and who should be chosen to be one, can also decide if one that we killed is worth bringing back to life again. It sounds as if Cerdic ‘made the cut’ as they say.”

Manny nodded, the game forgotten. “What do I do now?”

“To begin with, you tell no one that he had returned. No one. Understood?”

“Meaning Hamlin.”

“Precisely. It’s apparent that Cerdic is keeping a very low profile now, and, I would say if I had to guess, that Mr. Shadrick is the one who sent that man to kill you. This tells me that he doesn’t know what you are. Did he show any surprise when you reappeared at the house looking for a job?”

“Not that I picked up on, but then at that point I wasn’t thinking along those lines. I’d figured that Scriostóir I screwed with was the culprit”

“Alright. For now, go on about your business as normal. I’ll have to have a talk with Sofietje. Then we’ll decide whether to move you somewhere else or let you take care of the problem. That is, of course, if Cerdic isn’t there with the intention of dealing with you before he moves on.”

“Just let him try,” Manny growled, earning a glare from Alasdair.

“You will do nothing, and I mean nothing, unless directly attacked. That is an order.”

“Yes, mijn commandant.”

No comments:

Post a Comment