Sunday, February 3, 2013

Caomhnóir – Manny - 21



“Why is it that every time Manny comes in to work you’re with him?” Gebhard asked Hamlin the next evening when the two young men showed up together.

“Blame the puppy,” Hamlin replied. “I leave him at Manny’s place so I have to be there before he leaves. I just tag along after that.”

“Well if you’re going to keep doing that I suggest you get a key from Manny tonight, because he’s going to have to stay here for a while. I need to go out of town for a few days on personal business.”

“Gee, give a guy some notice why don’t you,” Manny grumbled.

“I just did. Eight hours notice. Luckily you’ve got things here as well as there. Look, I’m sorry. If I’d known earlier I’d have given you a head’s up. But I just found out myself.”

“No problem I guess. When will you be back?”

“It shouldn’t take more than three days. Then I’ll give you a couple of days off in exchange.”

“That works.” Manny took a key off his keyring, handing it to Hamlin. “Do you mind going out and getting this copied?”

“Not at all. I’ll be back ASAP.” Hamlin pocketed it, chuckling to himself as it rested against the one he already had, and left.

“You two have become good friends I gather,” Gebhard said moments later.

Manny shrugged. “We were before Cerdic sent him to London. We’ve just renewed it now that he’s back.”

“Do you miss him?” Gebhard asked suddenly.

“Cerdic? Yeah I guess.”

“He was a good man,” Gebhard said quietly. “Taking all you boys in like that.”

“Well you and Mr. Shadrick are continuing that, so that makes you good men too.”

Gebhard gave him a slight smile. “We own the house now. One of the conditions of that are to house the boys until they turn eighteen. As long as we’re doing that we decided to fill any vacancies with more kids.”

“Which will become a never ending cycle I suspect,” Manny said.

“Maybe. Who knows? Speaking of cycles, it’s almost dinner time so let’s get the boys down here.”

“What time do you leave?” Manny asked as they headed upstairs.

“I’m taking the red-eye at eleven. Then you’re on your own until Mr. Shadrick comes on duty in the morning.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment