Thursday, January 3, 2013

Caomhnóir – Manny - 6



“Ah, home sweet home,” Manny said as he led Alasdair into his loft.

“And quite an interesting one,” Alasdair commented, surveying the living area. “I think I can state unequivocally that I have never seen sixteenth and seventeenth works of art displayed against a graffiti background. Who is the painter?”

“That would be me. One of the less useful but more interesting skills I learned during my tenure with Cerdic.”

“You’re have an intriguing way with a spray can.” He stopped suddenly in front of a small portrait. “Good heavens, boy, is this an Antonis Mor?”

“Yes. I’m afraid I came by it somewhat illegally, but then so did the man I liberated it from. He was a philistine who had no real appreciation for art, only for the money he could get from it.”

Alasdair continued his perusal of the canvases, asking as he did, “All of these you ‘liberated’ as you put it?”

“No,” Manny replied with a chuckle, “some of them I came by quite legitimately. You should know that when you’ve lived as long as I have you accumulate wealth. I happen to like collecting certain pieces of art. So, I do.”

“Fair enough.” With a nod, Alasdair turned to look at Manny. “Now, down to business, but first sit, please, you still are not up to par.” Once Manny had done as requested, Alasdair continued. “I am worried, as is Sofietje, that the Scriostóir was able to find you so easily at the hotel.”

“Doesn’t make my day either,” Manny admitted. “I certainly didn’t leave any footsteps, at least that I’m aware of.”

“There’s the rub, that you are aware of. The man must know his way around computers and the internet. Perhaps he was cleverer than you thought. Him or one of his people. What’s to say he won’t start the whole operation up again?”

“He won’t. I made quite sure of that. What I’m wondering is, did he somehow know I was in town. If he did he probably figured I was the one who shut him down.”

“If that is the case, then we have a leak unless you told someone where you were going. Even then—“ Alasdair shook his head.

“All I said to anyone was that I was heading south, not where.”

“To whom?”

“One of the men at the house, and then the boys when they asked if I was sticking around.”

“I see. A man who, I would presume, worked for Cerdic. Yes, Sofietje filled me in on everything when she asked for my assistance with you.”

Manny cocked an eyebrow. “Does this mean you’re mijn commandant while I’m here?”

“Indeed I am. Your first task, once you are one hundred percent again, is to find out if this man you mentioned was more than just Cerdic’s employee.”

“Which I’d bet means that I go back to the house. I wonder if they need help.”

“That, boy, is something you will have to find out. I rather doubt you’d be able to move back in as one of the charges now.”

“No shit. Okay, I’ll see what I can come up with.”

No comments:

Post a Comment