Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Caomhnóir – Manny - 2



“Too long indeed,” Manny agreed. “Three years to bring down Cerdic. But it was worth it.”

With a nod of agreement, Sofietje said, “I am relieved that you completed your mission successfully, and also surprised that he and his people did not realize that you hadn’t aged, to be quite honest.”

Manny shrugged. “I am good at what I do and know how to fool people, especially humans.”

“Even your lover?”

“Even Hamlin, yes. So far.” He took a deep breath and then asked, “Are you sending me back soon?”

“Now you know that I can’t do that for another nine months. Or did you mean back to the States?”

“Both, I suppose.”

Sofietje twisted a strand of her long, white hair around her finger as she thought about that. “To be truthful, I am not certain it would be wise to give you a task that would keep you close to this Hamlin. On the other hand, if I don’t then you will be distracted, thinking of him. Give me a day and I shall let you know what I decide.”

“Fair enough. Do you need me for anything else at the moment?”

Sofietje chuckled. “No. Go out on the town. Be yourself for a while. Be young and alive, but behave.”

“Behave? Now what fun is that?” Manny’s lips quirked up in a grin for the first time since he’d returned to Rotterdam.

“Manfred,” Sofietje growled. Then she laughed. “You know what I mean. I do not want to have to bail you out like the last time.”

“Then come with me. We can do up the town together.”

“While I would enjoy that, I don’t think it would be wise. I might be tempted to deal with some rude young man in ways that would be hard to explain to those around us.”

“Yeah. Turning one into a dog might not be your wisest move.”

“Indeed,” she replied with a laugh. “So go, have fun, and report back here this time tomorrow.”

No comments:

Post a Comment