Sunday, November 4, 2012

Scriostóir - 3



The smile that crossed Cerdic’s lips was feral and triumphant as he watched the morning news a week after Jakie and Manny had turned over their spoils to him. Tensions between two warring countries had risen and death was in the wind. The only down-side to his morning was the news that one of his colleagues, a Scriostóir working as a terrorist half way across the world, had met his final demise at the hands of a Caomhnóir. But such was their world. He, himself, had dispatched several Caomhnóir in the past centuries, something he looked upon with pride.

Rising from his bed, Cerdic readied himself for the day. After he was finished he studied himself in the mirror. His dark blonde hair was swept back from his forehead and at the moment he was clean-shaven, his normal mustache and small beard sacrificed because they wouldn’t suit the role he was playing today.

When he arrived downstairs, he found the boys seated at the breakfast table.

Manny whistled in approval as he looked at his mentor. “You should do that more often, Mr. Wyndham. It’s a great look on you.”

“I’m glad you approve,” Cerdic replied, chuckling. “Alright, young men, I have a brief announcement. I shall be gone for a week or more. During that time Mr. Shadrick and Gebhard will be in full control of you and the house. I’ll leave your assignment list with Gebhard. Any slip-ups and you will face me when I return. Is that understood?” He looked at each boy in turn, receiving nods of acceptance from each one. “Very good. I know that you will make me proud.”

“Sir,” one of the middle boys said, raising his hand, “what if, well you know—“

“If you are careless and the police should catch you, you will be bailed out, brought back here, and summarily punished by Gebhard and then you’ll be under house arrest until I return. Therefore it would behoove you, all of you, to be extra careful. I will tell each and every one of you that I have the utmost faith in your abilities and I do not think that will happen. I would not have selected you otherwise.”

“Sir,” Jakie’s hand rose. When Cerdic nodded, the boy asked, “Will you call us?”

“Of course. Don’t I always? I’ll tell you all about London and what is going on with Hamlin.”

“Do you think he still remembers us? It’s been a year.”

Ruffling Jakie’s hair, Cerdic said, “You remember him. Why should he have forgotten you?”

Jakie shrugged. “I don’t know. I guess he wouldn’t.”

“Precisely. Now, all of you, finish your meal and get to work. Just because I’m not going to be here does not mean you may slack off of your chores until the last moment.”

“Yes, Sir,” the boys all chimed back in unison.

No comments:

Post a Comment