Thursday, October 11, 2012

Caomhnóir - 33



“I feel like we’re being watched,” Thom said as he stared at a hog’s head in one of the booths at the Milk Market.

“Then don’t look that in the eye,” Keegan said with a chuckle.

“No,” Thom replied, lowering his voice. “I mean for real. Someone’s watching us.”

Keegan nodded, getting it then, turning to scan the crowds filling the place. “Would be hard to say who it was,” he murmured. “Perhaps we should go out and take a stroll to see if you still feel it.”

“You don’t?” Thom asked, somewhat surprised.

“No, but then if there is someone, and not just a local who finds one of us incredibly interesting for personal reasons, he might be shielding from me.”

“So you’re thinking it could be—an enemy?” Thom sighed as he led the way back onto the street. “I thought we’d be free of that, at least for a while.”

Putting an arm around Thom’s waist, Keegan murmured, “Not necessarily an enemy. It could be another Caomhnóir wondering why I’m here.” As they walked, he opened his mind, trying to locate whoever Thom had felt by their thoughts. “I’m finding nothing,” he finally said.

“He’s still there, I feel like there are eyes on my back.”

With a chuckle, trying to lighten the mood for a moment, Keegan made it a point to look at Thom’s back. “No, no eyes, but a wonderful ass.”

“Keegan, behave, I’m serious.”

“I know you are. Sorry. Come, let’s go down here where there are less people.” Keegan steered them into a narrow lane and then, moments later, into another one that back home would have been considered an alley, albeit a very clean one. “Do you still feel him,” he asked.

“No. Yes. This is beyond creepy, Keegan.”

“I agree, because if it was a friend they’d have shown themselves by now.” Keegan looked up at the rooftops, seeing nothing. “Let’s get back to the hotel.”

“Then they’ll know where we are,” Thom said in a tense voice even as he followed beside Keegan.

“One could presume they already do. I doubt it was just luck that they found us at the Market.”

“But that’s where I was first aware of them.”

“As they may have wanted it, which would not be good.” Keegan decided that, under the circumstances, walking back to their hotel might not be the best idea and flagged down a passing cab once they reached a main street again.

No comments:

Post a Comment