Sunday, September 30, 2012

On Turning 72





I never really took birthdays to heart until this year. Thirty was just an age, the same with forty, and fifty. Okay when I hit sixty it was a bit, umm, shocking that I could be considered by some to be, *gasp*, ‘old’. I didn’t feel old then, or even at seventy.

And truth be told I still don’t feel old, although sometimes my body debates the fact. There’s the occasional ache in the knees when I stand up, the slightly blurry monitor screen if I’m not positioned just right. Going to bed at midnight, not one or two in the morning because I’m too tired to stay awake. Yeah that part of it, well, sucks.

But mentally and emotionally I’m still—humm, maybe forty, maybe younger or a bit older depending on the day and the mood. But I know one thing, I’m never growing up and growing old in my head and heart if I can help it.

Still this year seems a bit, I don’t know, different.

For one, I realized a couple of days ago that I was now just ten years younger than when my father died. He might have lived longer if it hadn’t been for complications from cancer and a bad heart. He was a good man, in fact in my eyes he was one of the best ever. He loved his family and adored my mother until the day he died. 


My mother adored him in return until the day she died at the age of ninety-two. Her last few years were spent in memories of her life with him and with us, even though she couldn’t remember two minutes later what someone had just said to her.

So yeah, as I creep up on them, age-wise, I’m beginning to realize I’m no more likely to be immortal than they were.

I’ve also become a bit of a Luddite. I don’t own a car and never have. I wouldn’t touch a cell phone with a ten-foot pole, as the saying goes. And I got rid of my TV when they switched everything to HDTV. I rarely watched the damned thing anyway. However—computers are another thing entirely. I’ve owned one since, hell, 1982 I think and would never give them up.

So yes, I am getting older and pretty much proud of it and of the legacies I’ll leave behind. 


First and foremost, my wonderful son who just a month ago, with his girlfriend, moved several states away to start a new life for himself. He had his ups and downs and did some things he regrets now. But he’s turned into a wonderful, caring man. I was about to say ‘young man’ but at thirty-one he’s inching away from the ‘young’ I suppose. Of course it’s all a matter of perspective. Hell, at thirty I was very young. Foot-loose and fancy free as they say, never staying in one place for more than three years at a time until I finally moved to Denver and settled down once and for all.

My other legacy is my books. I’m no Hemmingway or Faulkner and I know it, but I love writing and I definitely like the fact that people seem to want to read my stories and for the most part they enjoy them.

Okay, enough about me at the ripe young age of seventy-two. *chuckling* I have more stories to write and hopefully I always will, even when I reach ninety or one hundred. Hell, I figure if my mom made it to ninety-three who am I to break the tradition. Maybe I really will hit one hundred and still be pumping out my books. I can only hope.

For now, goodbye. And tell your kids to look for my stories in thirty years and counting. *grinning broadly now* Who knows, it could happen.

24 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! And its true you are only as old as your feel. Hoe you enjoy your day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Edward! *Hugs*

    Age is just a number.

    Congrats on your new release and may you have MANY more new releases and birthdays yet to come!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday :) Age is so often a state of mind.

    I really enjoy reading your books; look forward to reading many more in the years to come :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sure going to try to make that happen. *grinning*

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday, Edward. Beautiful post and age means nothing. I know sixty and seventy year olds with more vitality and enthusiasm for life than some twenty year olds!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, AJ. I might not be able to do real cartwheels any more (not that I ever could), but in my head I'm always doing them *G*

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday! I have to agree, you're only as old as you feel :) Wishing many more birthdays to you and looking forward to reading all the books to come. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Edward. My dad always says he's as young as the person he feels - so you just have to find a 40 year old to feel!
    Keep thinking young thouhts and enjoy your day
    Suze

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Edward. Unfortunately growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional. Here's to wishing you many more happy birthdays to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that the 'Peter Pan' thing? "I'll never grow up, I'll never grow up..."
      Thanks for the birthday wishes.

      Delete
  8. Happy, wonderful birthday, Edward!! Wishing you many, many more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you had a wonderful day. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! Thanks to you and everyone else I was a very wonderful day.

      Delete
  10. There's a trick I learned many years ago; I forget who from; about declaring your age as if being dyslexic. It works for the first few years of each decade and confuses the hell out of people when you inform them that you're only 14...or in your case, 27. *grins* Congrats on the birthday my dear friend, and you bet I'm going to tell my kids to look out for your books in the fullness of time. *snerks* Could always resort to a ghost writer too....
    *runs and hides with a hooting laugh*

    Happy Birthday Edward! *HUGS*

    Charlotte :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlieeeee. Gods that was a bad one. Thanks so much. -hugs-

      Delete
  11. *rubs head, cocked in question* hm, 'kay, my total bad but never even came close to picturing u that crypty there PapaE *wide def bad bad grin* Yup, ya vibe is way NOT that.... belated and all that, happy Bday!! mines this month *groans death* Loads to dish, but I'll do that personally... snap ya later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About time you surfaced again. Thanks for the BDay wishes.

      Delete