Thursday, September 27, 2012

Caomhnóir - 26



One day later, Keegan was back in Alasdair’s office, receiving his next assignment. As he listened, he paced; half his mind on what his ceannasaí was saying, the rest of it worrying about going off so soon after what had happened between Thom and Darius.

Finally, with a sharp rap of one clawed nail on his desk to regain Keegan’s attention, Alasdair said, “Darius knows better than to have anything to do with your Thom at this point. Cease your brooding about it.”

“I can’t,” Keegan replied honestly. “I know Darius. He won’t give up. If necessary he’ll bring in someone else to do his dirty work, because he won’t rest until Thom is out of my life for good.”

“Why, Keegan?”

“You don’t know?” Keegan was surprised that his ceannasaí would be unaware.

“I know that there were rumors a century or so ago about some falling out between the two of you. I would have thought that by now that would be past history.”

“For me, it is, or it was until now. Obviously for Darius it isn’t.”

“Sit and tell me, in detail.”

Keegan nodded, taking a chair on the other side of the desk. “There’s not really much to tell. Darius met a young man who fascinated him. The young man wanted nothing to do with him. Eventually they went their separate ways.”

Alasdair shook his head. “There’s more to it than that. Rumor has it he tried to blackmail this ‘young man’ into accepting his advances and that said young man escaped from him only because it was close to All Hallows’ Eve. He waited for that night and then, contrary to orders, slipped into another century.”

Keegan chuckled low. “You should know, you read me the riot act about that for days afterwards.”

“During which, never once did you reveal why you had done that.”

“It was—personal, Alasdair. And, just so that you’re aware, what he was holding over my head was not blackmail per se. It was a threat to reveal to a Scriostóir that I was the one responsible for the death of his family.”

“And you didn’t see fit to tell me this, Keegan,” Alasdair growled angrily.

“It was only a threat, meant to make me bend to his will. Darius might be a royal bastard, but he would never actually endanger our operation. You know that.”

“One would hope that’s the case.” Alasdair stood, crossing to look out over the city from the tall windows on one wall of his office. Finally he turned to say, “Against my better judgment, I want you to take Thom with you on your next assignment.”

Keegan’s eyes widened in surprise. “You’re serious?”

“Very much so. If you leave him behind, your full attention won’t be on what you’re supposed to be accomplishing. With him with you, and Darius having no idea where in this world the two of you are, you can concentrate on the job. And,” Alasdair smiled slightly, “your Thom won’t be fretting about who you might be sleeping with.”

“Someday he’ll finally understand that he is the only one.” Keegan’s tone of voice was slightly petulant as he said that.

“He loves you, and I’m certain he really does trust you, but he’s only human. Jealousy will inevitably raise its ugly head when you are gone for long spells of time. Therefore, he will go with you.”

Keegan chuckled. “I’d suggest you let me tell him that. If you were to order him to, he’d rebel just because it was you.”

“I am quite certain he would.” Alasdair retuned to his desk. “Now, shall we go over your orders once more? And this time, pay full attention.”

No comments:

Post a Comment