Monday, September 24, 2012

Caomhnóir - 25



“He wouldn’t, would he?” Thom asked, more angry than fearful.

“Have you for supper?” Keegan nodded. “He would, but only as a guest, not the main course.”

“And that will never happen. If I never see him again it will be too soon. Damn, Keegan.”

“I know he comes on a bit strong, but consider who and what he is,” Keegan replied, putting an arm around Thom’s waist as they reached the hall. “He actually admired you standing up to him, although I doubt he’ll ever tell you so.”

“If he did I wouldn’t believe him. So, what do we do now?”

“Depends what you mean. I for one could use something to eat.”

“That’s not quite what I meant and you know it. What are we going to do about Darius, since I doubt that Alasdair’s lecturing him will actually make the slightest difference in the long run.”

Keegan chuckled. “Never underestimate the power of one of his lectures. By the time he’s finished with you, you know exactly where you stand and what will happen if you dare to disobey him on whatever laws he’s laid down in the process.” After pressing the elevator button, Keegan added, quite seriously, “It’s more than your life is worth to disobey him.”

“Alright, I’ll take your word for it. But so help me if I see that bastard again I’m going to coldcock him, and that, Keegan, is a promise.”

Keegan smiled, giving him a quick hug as the elevator doors opened for them. “If I’m with you, I’ll back you up to the hilt, and maybe add a blow or two of my own.”

* * * *

As one set of elevator doors closed on Keegan and Thom, the ones for the next elevator opened and Darius stepped into the hall. He wondered as he strolled down to Alasdair’s office just what assignment the ceannasaí had for him. Hopefully, he thought, something quick. He wanted to be around when the foolish human went after Alasdair, to see how hard and fast Alasdair eliminated him.

Half an hour later Darius was storming out of the office. He’d kept his cool while Alasdair lectured him, denying Thom’s accusations all the while. But the minute the door closed behind him his face was suffused with rage. Enough with the games, it was time to get proactive.

No comments:

Post a Comment