Thursday, September 20, 2012

Caomhnóir - 23



“The second time Darius showed up wasn’t nearly as pleasant as the first, which should tell you something right there.”

“Indeed it does.” Keegan was scowling again, but this time not at Thom but because of what he was saying.

“He started out by telling me that you were going after a Scriostóir, as if you had tried to hide that bit of information from me. And then, being all consoling and what have you he implied that you were dead without really coming out and saying so.”

“The bastard! Just wait until I get my hands on him.”

Thom nodded. “I rather thought you’d feel that way. But before you go after him, there’s more.”

Consciously relaxing enough to listen, Keegan asked, “How bad?”

“If I’m reading things correctly, bad enough that if I hadn’t gotten my emotions under control I’d probably be dead by now. He told me that you’d been betrayed, by Alasdair, because of me.”

“Bloody fucking—” Keegan let out a string of swear words in more languages than Thom could comprehend, from ‘Bastardo’ to ‘Pompinara’ and back again. When Keegan finally ran out of words and breath, he wrapped his arms around Thom, holding him tight. “This shouldn’t have happened. And it will never happen again.”

Releasing Thom finally, Keegan cupped his chin in on hand, looking gravely at him. “Tell me you weren’t planning on going after Alasdair.”

Thom nodded slowly, admitting, “For a while there I was. Until I realized that’s exactly what Darius wanted me to do.”

“Thank God you came to your senses.”

“That can happen, occasionally,” Thom replied with a self-depreciating chuckle.

“I would ask why you believed all his lies, but I know the answer. Darius is a consummate manipulator, and as young and innocent as you are, you were putty in his hands.”

“Young, maybe, in comparison to the two of you, but innocent, not even. Not since I met you.”

Keegan threw back his head in laughter, cursing when it hit the headboard with a loud smack. “You, mo ghrá, are going to be the death of me yet.”

“Not possible.” Thom smiled, and then sobered quickly, “Unless there is some truth in the midst of all Darius’ lies. Would Alasdair like to see the two of us separated?”

“Damn, Thom, no! Alright, he’s not totally happy with you being in my life because he’s afraid you could jeopardize me. He knows I’d do anything within my power to keep you safe. But come on, what good would it do him to have me killed just to part us?”

Thom leaned back against Keegan’s chest as he thought about that. “What if,” he said slowly, “you had lost the fight with the Scriostóir? Could Alasdair, or your supreme ruler, bring you back again or would you be truly dead?”

Instead of replying immediately, Keegan shifted Thom so that he could get out of bed. He searched the clothes that lay strewn on the floor until he found what he was looking for. Coming back, he settled next to Thom, handing his a sheathed dagger.

“All of us have one of these, Scriostóir and Caomhnóir. Believe it or not, even though we are fierce enemies in the fight to save or destroy this world, there is a certain respect that we hold for each other when it comes to battling one on one. The winner uses their dagger to send to looser to his final rest, freed of the sins that brought them to the orders.”

Thom looked gravely at the dagger. “You just—stab your foe with this and that’s the end?”

“It’s not quite that simple. There are ritual words that must be spoken as we plunge it into their heart.”

“And if you don’t say them, then what?”

“Then we return to the vale to suffer for our sins throughout eternity. Or at least that’s the theory. As far as I know it hasn’t been tested.”

“Alasdair would know. And that leads me back to what we were just talking about. Suppose that’s not what happens, or that it’s only one of several possibilities. What if you return to the vale and it’s decided that you’re too valuable to waste. So they give you another chance. And just suppose that someone, not saying Alasdair but someone, knows this. You battle, you’re the looser and dying, and your opponent stabs you but doesn’t say the words that save you from—eternal damnation.”

Keegan tapped his fingers together as he though about that. “From the mouths of babes,” he finally muttered. “But Alasdair wouldn’t do that to me. We’re more than master and slave, commander and foot-soldier, whatever you want to call it. We’re friends above and beyond all else. If we weren’t you wouldn’t be in my life, he’d have seen to that from the beginning.”

“So he does see some good in our relationship?”

“Yes, I think he does. But we can ask him in the morning when we go to see him.”

“I have to--?” Thom shuddered.

“Yes, mo fear daor, you have to,” Keegan replied with a soft laugh. “I promise, I shall protect you from his claws.”

* * * * * * * * * * *

A great 4 Hearts review for 'We Are the Guardians' 

No comments:

Post a Comment