Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Thief and the White Knight - 15


"Afternoon, Pia, if you'd have a seat please." Harry nodded to the chair next to the desk.

It had taken a lot of discussion and a few short but tense arguments, but Tito had finally convinced Harry to help with his plan. Still uncertain that is was the best way to approach things, Harry had ultimately agreed.

"So what's up, Harry," Pia asked.

"Information gathering, you're forté." 

She grinned. "Where, when, who do I have to kill? Kidding about the last."

'Let's hope, once you find out who else is involved,' Harry thought. Aloud he said, "It's really a fairly simple job, for you anyway. The problem is getting you inside to do it. This is not a place you can break in to, trust me on that."

Pia's eyebrows shot up. "Are you demeaning my abilities?" she asked.

"Have you ever broken into a bank?"

"Well—no. When I was a kid I thought I'd figured out a few ways to do it, but then I grew up, and grew smarter. If I were already inside I could probably get through any of the locks, given enough time. It's the getting inside after hours, or remaining inside when they're closing, that's the trick."

"Exactly, and the bank isn't going to let us place you inside to do what we need without a warrant, and we have no legal grounds to get one. We have however been able to get someone on the inside, a security guard."

Pia nodded. "So what's the plan, I go in during regular hours and he stashes me somewhere until the bank is closed?"

"Pretty much. It will be a bit more difficult than that. There are always two guards even after hours, manning the security including a very sophisticated camera system."

"He'll be one of the two?" Harry nodded. "And he can get me into the monitoring room?"

"He can."

"So what am I after, something in one of the safety deposit boxes I presume?"

"Yes, which means you have to get into the vault and then the box in question."

Pia tapped her lips, thinking, and then said, "There's information I'll need that you or your man inside can probably get for me." She picked up a pen and he handed her a pad of paper. When she finished the list, she gave it to him. "Call me when you have it?"

"Will do," he replied.

* * * *

"I want to meet with your man before we do this," Pia said into the phone as she reached for another fry on Tito's plate, grinning when he batted her hand away. She listened for a moment before nodding. "That would work. Oh, your boy is here, do you want to talk to him?"

"I'm not his 'boy'," Tito muttered as she handed him the phone and then headed to the kitchen to give them some privacy.

Ten minutes later Tito joined her, bringing in the empty plates. As he set them in the sink, flipping her off when she commented that he was 'well trained', he said, "Do you know how to get to the park?"

"Gee, I don't know," she replied with a snort, tapping his forehead. "Memory loss setting in already? We used to spend hours there as kids, I think I can get around in there without getting lost."

"Just making sure, monello." He tapped the tip of her nose, dancing out of reach when she took a swipe at him.

No comments:

Post a Comment