Monday, June 13, 2011

Mario - A Story - 9




“What came next? We moved.” Mario said. “We were very careful, well as much as possible, to make certain Jonah wasn’t around when it happened.”

Tate nodded. “He found you anyway?”

“Oh no. He came to the restaurant again only this time he was at least half drunk and pissed because I’d moved.” Mario sighed deeply. “I think if the people I work with hadn’t stood by me he might have done something. As it was he went outside, telling me he was going to wait for me so we could talk. I left by the backdoor.”

“Have you seen him since? And when did this happen? And more importantly have you reported him to the police yet?”

“I haven’t seen him, no. It happened last Friday evening. Truthfully I don’t see any good coming from my talking to the police. I have no real evidence he’s stalking me, or that he really intends to harm me. It’s just a gut feeling.”

“Never ignore those, especially in a case like this. So, what do you think I can do?” Tate smiled a bit. “I’m not some movie PI who’ll go threaten him or beat him up and tell him to stay away from you or else. That wouldn’t work anyway; he’d just take it as a challenge.”

“I didn’t expect you would,” Mario replied, essaying a small smile in return. “I guess I was hoping you’d have some ideas on what I can do to stay safe from him other than moving again.”

“For starters I can check your new place out and set up some security if it needs it. How old is your son by the way? Young I take it from how you described his reaction in the park, and from looking at you.”

“He’s five. Why?”

“In school yet?” Mario nodded. “Then you have to talk to the people at the school, sign papers if necessary that state who’s allowed to pick your son up. Who would they be?”

“Me and my sister, that’s it. Well her husband too I guess. You don’t think…” A flash of fear crossed Mario’s face.

“Seriously I doubt he’d harm your son as that would get him no where. I’m not going to sugar coat it though, he could try to take him from the school and use him as leverage to make you come talk to him, or whatever he’s got in mind now.”

Mario scrubbed his hands through his hair. “Maybe I should just pick up and leave the city.”

“I’m not sure that would do any good if Jonah’s fixated on you, and it sounds as if he is. Set things up with the school, and for God’s sake tell them why so they’ll know it’s serious. When can I come to your place to check it out?”

“I’d say tonight but…”

“Tonight it is.”

“I suppose I should ask what this is going to cost me.”

Tate chuckled. “Probably.” He took a sheet of paper from a desk drawer. “These are my rates. I’m open to time payments if that works better for your budget. I doubt you make a fortune as a waiter.”

“Not really,” Mario agreed. “I do have money though, from my grandparents’ wills, so paying you won’t make me destitute. Besides all things considered it’s worth it.”

“All right then.” Tate handed him some more papers to fill out, took the retainer check Mario wrote, and they set a time for Tate to come to the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment