Saturday, June 18, 2011

Mario - A Story - 11


Mario laughed. “Wil doesn’t usually move that fast, at least at bedtime.”

“It’s all in the motivation.” Tate stretched then said, “Give me your phone so I can link it to the system while we’re waiting.”

While Tate worked Mario studied him even as he kept an ear open for any untoward sounds from Wil. Then he shook his head when he realized what he’d been doing, and where his mind was going.

Tate caught the motion and looked over at him with an arched eyebrow.

“Nothing,” Mario said quickly. “Just…thinking.”

“Good thoughts from the look on your face.”

Instead of replying, because at the moment he couldn’t think how to, Mario quickly got up, went to the bottom of the stairs and called out, “You all right up there Wil?”

Tate chuckled to himself as he watched Mario flee, because that’s what he was doing. He had an idea what Mario had been thinking just from his reaction and felt, well flattered he supposed. While he was no stud and never would be he knew he wasn’t bad looking, for his age. Maybe a few too many lines on his face but he thought they gave him character. Not that it mattered if they did or not because he was dead certain that the good looking young man standing with his back to him at the moment had only been idly wondering, if that, about what might happen if…

Wil's bounding down the stairs and across the room to Tate put an abrupt end to Mario’s musings. Tate spent the next few minutes explaining to the boy what each item in the bag was and how it was used.

When Wil yawned widely Mario picked him up and told him in no uncertain terms he was taking him up and tucking him in. Wil waved sleepily at Tate over Mario’s shoulder as they left. Tate smiled and waved back then finished off the adjustments he’d been making to Mario’s phone. He was done at the same time that Mario reappeared.

“I should get going,” Tate told him as he packed up.

“If you want some coffee first I can make some,” Mario replied with some hesitancy.

Tate considered the idea and shrugged casually. “Sure, why not.” He followed when Mario went into the kitchen and watched with a trace of amusement as he skittishly filled the pot and the basket then set the coffee to brewing. When Mario turned around to lean against the counter Tate said, “You’re going to be all right.”

“I…I know. It’s just, well you being here, doing this, it just makes it all the more real that I’ve got something to be afraid of.”

“Good. That will make you even more careful. From what you’ve said I suspect evenings and nights are when you need to be more aware of what’s going on around you. I doubt he starts off the day drinking, not if he’s got a job.”

“He does, and one where coming to work half-drunk would get him fired. So, yeah, I think you’re right.”

“Things here are secure enough at the moment,” Tate continued, “though I am going to add the rest of what I want done tomorrow evening, now that I have the lay of the land.”

“Thank you,” Mario said gratefully.

“Hey,” Tate replied with a grin, “nothing to thank me for. I’m going to make a small fortune doing this.” When Mario’s eyes widened in shock Tate laughed. “I’m kidding. It’s not going to cost all that much.”

“Whew. I wasn’t lying when I said I had a bit put aside from my grandparents, but I really would like to keep some of it for emergencies.”

“Not a problem, and I think the coffee’s ready.”

Mario turned to check then got out cups which he filled as he asked, “Cream, sugar?”

“Nope, I take mine straight.” Tate was tempted to say, ‘Unlike my men,’ but figured this was neither the time nor the place to joke about that even if Mario had known he was bi, which he didn’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment